New Macbook Pro Issues

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just bought my first Mac just over a month ago. So far I am absolutely in love with it, but I have noticed a few things that are concerning me. And being paranoid, I need some advice!

I have the new Macbook Pro, 15 inch, standard specs. No upgraded anything. :(

Anyway the first thing I've noticed was this strange clinking sound near the trackpad. It will make this noise if I move the computer from side to side or if I am resting my hand on the trackpad. It's not every time, but it does seem to be getting more frequent. I read somewhere that there is this small part that is making the noise, that can be removed, but considering I am an idiot and have no idea what I am doing, I will not be removing a thing. Is this a normal sound? Anyone else experience it?

My second issue is that it has been pinwheeling at random times, where there isn't much going on. Sometimes it'll be when I have photoshop elements open, or when I am watching a video on youtube...or both. Also sometimes my itunes will skip if I am running PS and/or getting a torrent. Elements isn't exactly graphics heavy, and I am never running much else when I have it open, so I am a bit concerned. I've been installing all updates and everything, so I am wondering if this is normal for such a young mac to be doing.

tl;dr: Weird clinking sounds near track bad, pinwheeling/freezing when multiple programs are open/torrents being downloaded.

Thanks for your help in advance! :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Does the sound correlate with your movement - or do you just hear it under normal circumstances. I'm a little concerned you may have a failing hard drive. Make sure you have a back up of your data. I'd recommend checking the SMART status from Disk Utility and then running the HW test from the installation disc.

OP
Stahhhscream
Reaction score
If the computer is sitting on my desk, and I don't move it, I don't hear the noise at all. It only happens if I have it on my lap or I am carrying it elsewhere. I've read that others have experienced the noise, but it hasn't caused them any trouble.

Thanks, I'll do that. I reaaaaally hope my hard-drive isn't failing...at least it's still under warranty.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
If the computer is sitting on my desk, and I don't move it, I don't hear the noise at all. It only happens if I have it on my lap or I am carrying it elsewhere. I've read that others have experienced the noise, but it hasn't caused them any trouble.

Thanks, I'll do that. I reaaaaally hope my hard-drive isn't failing...at least it's still under warranty.

Post back and let us know what the tests say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad
I think Im gonna agree with Brian, I would just take it to an apple store.

The clicking could most definitely be the hard drive. Thats pretty much the only part in your machine that would click. If the machine is doing random pin wheels that could be because its trying to access something on the hard drive and it is taking longer then usual, so pinwheel.

Those two issues right there make me think hard drive for sure.

I would just bring the machine back and say you hear clicking and the machine hangs occasionally. Im not sure how thorough the Apple Disk utility hard drive check is, but I have a lot of experience of a full test running on a hard drive and sometimes they pass even though they are going out soon... Then after a few weeks or so of use they just fail..

Reaction score
hey, i guess i wasnt the only one with the wierd click sound when i move MBP around. I've been getting that right when i got the MBP but wasnt sure if it was anything serious. but mine works pretty well and doesnt seem to have any problem however. maybe i should take it to apple store just incase as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M
Isn't this just the safety thing in your hard drive to prevent damage when the notebook moves a little too fast? Ive got thesame thing but it isnt a issue.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Isn't this just the safety thing in your hard drive to prevent damage when the notebook moves a little too fast? Ive got thesame thing but it isnt a issue.

One click - correlating with a sudden motion would be the machine parking the heads - that's the sudden motion sensor in action. That's not what the OP's post sounds like to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
If the computer is sitting on my desk, and I don't move it, I don't hear the noise at all. It only happens if I have it on my lap or I am carrying it elsewhere.

This is most definitely the Sudden Motion Sensor.
Nothing to worry about. Its preventing data loss on your HDD from physical movement. You can turn it off in your macbook's settings, but you wouldn't want to do that.

It's ok to be a little paranoid with a new machine like that. ;D I freaked out the first time I watched an HD movie an the temp went up to 75 degrees! But these things are all normal.

Also, although its not a gargantuan program, photoshop elements is still pretty chunky. That combined with torrenting and streaming videos will certainly produce a pinwheel every now and then.
If its really bothering you then you could install more ram, which may help a little, but mostly its just the GPU bogging down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M
One click - correlating with a sudden motion would be the machine parking the heads - that's the sudden motion sensor in action. That's not what the OP's post sounds like to me.

Ah yes thats the name i was looking for, i forgot it.

OP
Stahhhscream
Reaction score
This is most definitely the Sudden Motion Sensor.
Nothing to worry about. Its preventing data loss on your HDD from physical movement. You can turn it off in your macbook's settings, but you wouldn't want to do that.

It's ok to be a little paranoid with a new machine like that. ;D I freaked out the first time I watched an HD movie an the temp went up to 75 degrees! But these things are all normal.

Also, although its not a gargantuan program, photoshop elements is still pretty chunky. That combined with torrenting and streaming videos will certainly produce a pinwheel every now and then.
If its really bothering you then you could install more ram, which may help a little, but mostly its just the GPU bogging down.

Thanks! I was really hoping I was just being paranoid. I had read about the Sudden Motion Censor, but forgot what it was called. I guess you are right about elements and all. It was just odd because when running the Sims 3 it would never freeze up, which I would assume would happen if it would happen with elements. Meh. In any event, I may end up installing more ram eventually. Apparently I am very impatient :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.