Dual Display issue while installing snow leopard

Reaction score
Well, I purchased a MacBook that wasn't working properly to try and salvage it, but I've run into a pretty dumb problem when trying to install snow leopard.

The screen is shot on the MacBook, so I have it hooked up to an external monitor (32" LG tv).

When I boot my snow leopard Install disk, it seems like computer is recognizing my tv as a secondary display, so all I have visable access to is the background and my cursor.

I have tried f7 to enable mirroring but it doesn't seem that works booting off the OS disk. This is a lane problem to be set back by, if anyone has any ideas on how I can resolve this please let me know.

Thanks
R&R

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a tough one to resolve and has been asked many times before. The answer is that it can't be done that way. Also, unless the MacBook is a pre 2008 model the F7 video switch will not work. Apple removed that capability starting with the early 2008 models.

The only method to install that works (when the display is not functioning) is to use another Mac and boot the broken Mac in Target disk mode.

You can learn more by reading this Apple KB article. LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.