Ram Upgrade with Filevault?

Reaction score
Okay I have a silly question, I'm running FileVault on my macmini3,1 and I'm going to upgrade my ram very soon. I wanted to know if FileVault would give me problems after a ram upgrade or would I have to turn it off before I go ahead with the upgrade.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
I dont think you should have any problem. As far as I know fire vault just encrypts some files on your HDD but has nothing to do with your RAM.

OP
ORNGLJ05
Reaction score
Hey thurstmw, thanks for the reply I feel better knowing that it wouldn't give me any problems upgrading the ram.

Take care

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As you've been told Filevault has nothing to do with updating the memory modules. You should, however, turn it off before you do any kind of maintenance or upgrading. (As a precaution.)

And a word of caution using Filevault: Unless you have some super secrets on your hard drive, I highly recommend that you not use it. There are too many horror stories (you can search here and in the Apple forums) of folks who lost all their data because they either forgot the password or Filevault developed a glitch.

OP
ORNGLJ05
Reaction score
I just like the security I feel with running FileVault, other then that I really don't have anything I really want secured. I do have bank info and credit card statements.

So you think I should turn FileVault off before I upgrade the ram?

How long does it take to turn off FileVault?

Thank you.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Make sure you have good (and preferrably multiple) back ups if you run File Vault. You will not find a lot of support here for using it as the consequences of a failure can be catastrophic to your data.
Basically, as stated, if you have any kind of glitch or hitch ALL of your information will be nonrecoverable. Do yourself a favor and do a forum thread search and you will find instances of members having major problems even with having backups.

There are other (safer) and probably just as secure options, including using 1Password (good idea anyway) and encrypted disk images (secure but usually small enough to easily backup and make multiple copies).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I just like the security I feel with running FileVault, other then that I really don't have anything I really want secured. I do have bank info and credit card statements.

So you think I should turn FileVault off before I upgrade the ram?

Thank you.

See below

And a word of caution using Filevault: Unless you have some super secrets on your hard drive, I highly recommend that you not use it. There are too many horror stories (you can search here and in the Apple forums)

And here is one. Peoples take on FV.

I felt the same as you being a new user and wanting that comfort. Believe me IT JUST ISNT WORTH THE HEADACHE.

10.7 Lion is meant to have made inroads to FV and the Mac security and it will be interested to see what they have done, but as Charlie has posted unless you have 'Secrect Squirrel stuff to hide, steer away or turn it off now while you can.

You will get to a certain point in the HD and you want be able to add any more (hard drive to full) error or you wont be able to turn off bc (HD too full) . . .

Please think seriously about it before you continue

How long does it take to turn off FileVault?

Depends on how much data is encrypted at this point.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Make sure you have good (and preferrably multiple) back ups if you run File Vault. You will not find a lot of support here for using it as the consequences of a failure can be catastrophic to your data.
Basically, as stated, if you have any kind of glitch or hitch ALL of your information will be nonrecoverable. Do yourself a favor and do a forum thread search and you will find instances of members having major problems even with having backups.

There are other (safer) and probably just as secure options, including using 1Password (good idea anyway) and encrypted disk images (secure but usually small enough to easily backup and make multiple copies).

And all it takes is 1 yes 1 corrupt file somewhere in your system, and your data will not be recoverable.

Unless you go through the man hours it took me to recover my system. An i only did what i did bc i could not find a answer on the web. . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I like to refer to that phenomenon as 'data vaulting'. It's secure alright. So secure you're not reading it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like to refer to that phenomenon as 'data vaulting'. It's secure alright. So secure you're not reading it.

I know its not something  are outright proud of, but i seriously think they should put more of a warning out there for the switcher with it bc of this problem. When i looked for a answer and had to come up with my own, even from the response i got in my thread no-one knew anything about it.

Apple knew of the problem bc when i rang there hotline later they said the same as other "unrecoverable data" BUT didnt offer a solution

OP
ORNGLJ05
Reaction score
Ok I just got done upgrading my ram from 4gb to 8gb with no issues with FileVault.

Reading more on FileVault and now thinking maybe I should turn it off. I turned it on yesterday so I'm not to deep into it. I don't really have anything I want to hide from the Feds haha! I'll just use Disk-Utility to encrypt my bank info/credit cards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yeah good move. And FWIW, the Feds could get past FileVault :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well done. Good to see you heed the warnings. Now sit back and enjoy :)

Cheers

OP
ORNGLJ05
Reaction score
Thank you! :) It was a cool idea but my files are more important, and I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to fix it when it does crash.

OP
ORNGLJ05
Reaction score
FileFault turned off. Feel much better now.

Thank you guys for the great info and suggestions.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
FileFault turned off. Feel much better now.

Thank you guys for the great info and suggestions.

You're very welcome, and welcome again to the Forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.