Need help chosing the best and safest music downloading program for mac.

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im new to Imac but absolutely love it, I'm having trouble though downloading a music program to download songs though because im worried about infecting my new Mac with viruses, or trojans - On my old windows computer I was using frostwire to download music, and honestly it wasnt that great - Does anyone have any recommendations on what the SAFEST and most efficient music downloading program is for the Mac - THANKS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
C

chas_m

There are no Mac viruses. However, there are one or two Mac trojans out there (beware ANYTHING that pops up and claims to be a Mac Defender/Mac Security et al -- it's scamware/scareware).

If you want safe, then you want legal. The best legal options are iTunes and Amazon MP3 as mentioned above (I think Rhapsody is also around, never checked it out but I remember that it's Mac-friendly).

If you're into Indie/College type music, you'll also want to check out Bandcamp.com. If you have an iPad, try out Aweditorium, an infectiously delicious music-sampling apps that gives you band info, links to iTunes and a clever way to check out some great new bands.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.