G4 computer falls asleep every 3-5 seconds

Reaction score
My family's G4 power mac goes to sleep every 3-5 seconds. I've tried resetting smc, pram, getting firmware updates, turning off sleep, and cleaning the fan. Nothing seems to work. I assume it's a software issue, but it could be a hardware issue. I'm wondering what you guys think.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you know what model the G4 is? PowerMac tower by chance? My PowerMac G4 Digital Audio did this very thing and it was a bad PMU chip on the Logicboard. Found a board on Ebay for $25 and it's like new again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is it really just going to "sleep" or is it shutting down/powering off completely?

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes, it is sleeping. I can wake it up my clicking or pressing buttons on the keyboard. And yes, it is a power mac G4 tower. So, it's the logic board, you say?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, it is sleeping. I can wake it up my clicking or pressing buttons on the keyboard. And yes, it is a power mac G4 tower. So, it's the logic board, you say?

In your case I am not 100% sure, but mine started that way and did it more and more to the point I could not even keep it awake. I reset everything and nothing changed. It was a bad chip on the board that controls Power Management. New board and it's like new.

If it does turn out to be the Logic board, I have found some really good deals in the past on Ebay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.