What to watch besides Netflix

Reaction score
If we don't subscribe to Netflix what other viewing options are there for movies or TV. shows. Not a fan of what Netflix has for immediate viewing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Well, you can rent movies and TV shows from Apple. You can also purchase TV seasons from apple on your computer and then stream it to your AppleTV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Hulu is another option.

Reaction score
Abc, HBO, hulu plus but don't give up on netflix so quickly after using it for awhile I really enjoy Netflix after I learned how to find stuff I like to watch. I kinda assumed u are giving up on Netflix quickly so forgive me if this isn't the case. I also download movies from iTunes for plane trips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Well there's the obvious: cable or satellite ;P

OP
C
Reaction score
We had Netflix, but the "new releases" available for immediate watching were pretty sad. I was expecting so much more. Everything we wanted had to be ordered on DVD through the mail. Paying $7.99 a month for old movies really isn't helping me. I want more options for viewing newer movies and TV shows (without the 99 cent charge of iTunes or other sources).

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
iTunes, Amazon On Demand, Vudu, Blockbuster: They all require you to rent the latest movies via instant stream.

Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Blockbuster: They all have instant stream available, but not for all the latest movies available on DVD that are new releases.

At this point, you're going to have to pay a rental fee for the latest movie to watch via streaming no matter what. Now, there are some exceptions, where you will see the latest new release on Netflix.

There really is no other service out there that suites your needs. I was hoping that that service existed as well, when I noticed Netflix's instant watch new releases were rather limited in selection. But I learned to live with it. There are truly some nice gems out there for instant watch on Netlfix. I feel your pain as well. :(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Crackle is another to add to the list now also.

Reaction score
If you're looking for 'new releases,' I'd agree, Netflix probably doesn't seem all that stellar. Then again, for streaming only, it's what, $9?? We opted for Netflix b/c of all the older TV shows that we can pick up there. A lot of quality 70's & 80's stuff to keep us going for a long time, and a lot of it I'm comfortable with my kids being around.

For current release movies, seems that Amazon & iTunes are still going to be the primary route aside from actually buying a DVD/Blu-ray.

For current Television shows, seems like it's hit/miss and piece mill at best. I haven't found the service that actually provides a free/inexpensive stream of ALL the shows I like (and I actually don't even watch that much TV).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Vudu is a good alternative for streaming new releases if you need them that bad.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well, it's not that I need them that bad, I will be hooking up the ATV soon and am just trying to see all my options so I can put it to good use!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Try this site. The Internet Movie Database (IMDb).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.