QuickTime is a memory HOG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air / 1.86GHz / 2 GB / Version 10.6.2
Hello,

I have MacBook Air. To study for work-related certifications, I have begun to create presentation slides using OpenOffice Impress.

To record these presentations, I open QuickTime Pro (which came with my MacBook Air) to start recording. Then I open the Impress in Slide Show mode to talk and present, while moving from slide to slide. Problem is, when Quick Time is running, the slides and graphics load painfully slow. Please note, these OpenOffice Impress files are usually less than 3MB.

Is there a way to tweak QuickTime Pro so it doesn't make the Slide Show presentation painfully slow. Are there alternate, lightweight screen/audio recording programs? I was about to create and upload a presentation to YouTUBE today, but I am unable to because QuickTime PRO makes the presentation slow.

I'm really frustrated right now!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OO Impress is not the "best" presentation software to use. If you do any kind of professional presentations, you should be using either Powerpoint (MS Office) or at least Keystone (iWork suite). Part of the slowdown problem is Impress itself. QuickTime Pro does use quite a bit of memory though.

How much system memory does your MacBook Air have and is this the newer Air model or older?

OP
jhoomjhoom
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air / 1.86GHz / 2 GB / Version 10.6.2
OO Impress is not the "best" presentation software to use. If you do any kind of professional presentations, you should be using either Powerpoint (MS Office) or at least Keystone (iWork suite). Part of the slowdown problem is Impress itself. QuickTime Pro does use quite a bit of memory though.

How much system memory does your MacBook Air have and is this the newer Air model or older?

The MacBook Air has 2 GB, and it's the older model which purchased end of 2009.

May I add, I am creating these slide presentations for study/hobby. I find that being creative makes studying more enjoyable. If Impress is limited, then I will adjust accordingly, i.e. use less slides, reduce the effects, while keeping the essense of the study material.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, not much you can do then. Since you can't add memory to the Air nor do anything about faster graphics, you're pretty much at status quo. If you're doing the presentations for your own purposes and study, Impress is as good as any to do the job. It's also free. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.