Extremely weak wireless signal on PowerMac G5 / AirPort

Reaction score
Hey everybody. Brand new to both Macs and this forum, so please bear with me and excuse my ignorance.

I recently bought a G5 PowerMac for audio recording purposes. It didn't come with an AirPort card, so I had to get that too and install it myself (a process that was much easier than I was expetting it would be). I am happy to report that I do have Internet, but unfortunately just barely. The signal is so weak that even the smallest downloads crawl if the signal isn't dropped altogether.

I do know that a that there are a few other threads discussing this, but are all very dated at this point. Does anyone have any advice? I have tried manipulating the internal antennae a little bit with some minor improvement.

Reaction score
Stick a pin in it.

If anyone is still trying to figure this one out, simple is best. Just take a straight (sewing) pin and put it into the middle of your antenna plug-in on the back of your G5 box. I got it from this blog. I'm now at full strength signal!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The appropriate fix is get one of these:

a-53206.jpg

- Nick

Reaction score
That is exactly right. But, if you are a "starving student" like myself, you can save $35 and use a pin to get the same results. :$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Any chance the antenna cables are connected wrongly? That will interfere with performance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.