MacBook Air fan goes WAY over 6200 RPM via hacking :D

Reaction score
Hello guys!
I just downloaded SMC and started playing with it.
After reading & documenting, i saw that the max speed of the MBA fan is 6200RPM
And i asked myself, "What if i use a higher value?"
This question popped up because i remember that one day, while i reseted my PRAM, the fans goed to like 11000RPM (They where making the sound of a chainsaw :D )
So, i wanted to try 6300RPM

First,
Code:
python -c "print hex(6300 << 2)"
Result,
Code:
0x6270
So, i'll use 6270

Second
Code:
sudo smc -k "FS! " -w 0001
to force the fan to my speed

Third,
Code:
sudo smc -k F0Tg -w 6270
To set the target speed to 7200RPM
I could hear that they are going faster. Now i am on 7200RPM, in the hot summer, and only 54 Degrees celsius :)

I'm wondering, what's the REAL MAX speed this fan can go?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm wondering, what's the REAL MAX speed this fan can go?

I would wonder how you're going to replace it when the bearings are destroyed because it's being spun out of tolerances.

OP
A
Reaction score
I would wonder how you're going to replace it when the bearings are destroyed because it's being spun out of tolerances.

This is why I asked ;D
To know if it's good or not. If you say that it's not good, then I'll not use it.
Thanks for the advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I'd not spin it any faster than it's original max speed at all... But that's personally. :p It is interesting, and I'm admittedly curious, as to how fast it will actually get to! Either way, take care o' that machine and let 'er slow down!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This is why I asked ;D
To know if it's good or not. If you say that it's not good, then I'll not use it.
Thanks for the advice!

I'll go one further. Stop monitoring your temps and manually manipulating the fan speed. This is not an overclocked gaming rig and they do not need to be monitored. You're just making yourself paranoid AND you're putting undue stress on your fans that will ultimately lead to shortened service life and an expensive repair.

Your fans are thermostatically controlled by a systems management controller that was designed by the very same engineers who designed your computer's thermal controls. They knew what they were doing. There's no reason to second guess them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
fans are only like 30 bucks on ebay so if you want to mess with it I say go for it. I would imagine if you keep putting more voltage(?) into it, it will keep going faster until you burn out the motor.

Reaction score
I'll go one further. Stop monitoring your temps and manually manipulating the fan speed.

No, no, you don't understand ! He should go out and try to push that fan to the max ! By the time we see him flying overhead faster than the limits of 3G connectivity, we'll know about that Easter Egg that all the rumours claim has been built into the MBAs: a helicopter !

Peter.

OP
A
Reaction score
No, no, you don't understand ! He should go out and try to push that fan to the max ! By the time we see him flying overhead faster than the limits of 3G connectivity, we'll know about that Easter Egg that all the rumours claim has been built into the MBAs: a helicopter !

Peter.

I must admit that this is a pretty funny response :D

And, i stopped monitoring the fans. No SMC app, no temp status, just the stock Manager.

Thanks for the responses!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad
we always mess with all the scrap machines at work.

Max fan speed constantly, sometimes we remove all the fan blades and see how long something will run for before total destruction.

lol.. fun times.

I wouldnt ever mess with the fans in my macbook pro though, lol...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.