New macbook pro, osx lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac, 15" Macbook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Hi there guys,
First, apologies if I posted this at the wrong category.

Here's my question. I am getting a new macbook pro next month. I just would like to know if some of you know if OSX Lion is coming out next month? It says, it's coming out in summer.
If it is, do you guys think that if I buy a new macbook, it will have the new OS installed?
I got the money for the mbp and everything is ready, all I'm really waiting for is the new OS.
Do you guys have any suggestions for me? Should I wait or should I just get it now?

Many thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Nobody but Apple know when Lion will be released, so your guess is as good as ours :)

If you have the money and you can't wait, buy the MBP now and upgrade to Lion when it is released.

To me, it doesn't make sense to wait ( for an undefined period of time )

Cheers ... McBie

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi McBie. I guess your're right mate. I might as well get it. I just cant wait anymore.

Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
No worries .... enjoy.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry Mcbie, I should've asked you. Do you think I will get a free upgrade to OSX Lion if it comes out within the next 2 months? I heard something like that but I can't verify.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Don't know to be honest ....

Based on Apple's history with new OS releases, it might be the usual 129 USD.
Then again, only Apple know.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Sorry Mcbie, I should've asked you. Do you think I will get a free upgrade to OSX Lion if it comes out within the next 2 months? I heard something like that but I can't verify.

Thanks in advance.

I highly doubt it. Maybe if it was within 2 days, but even that would be up to the discretion of the Apple Store manager.

Lion is to be released in the Summer and the first day of Summer for 2011 is June 21. SOURCE
It could be as late as late September before Lion comes out. Up to you if you want to (possibly) wait that long.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MYmacROX - really? Wow I don't think I can wait that long to be honest. I was going to wait one more week and hope it comes out next week. If it's in end of June/September, then I think I will just get it this week.
Cheers for your input MYmacROX.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
MYmacROX - really? Wow I don't think I can wait that long to be honest. I was going to wait one more week and hope it comes out next week. If it's in end of June/September, then I think I will just get it this week.
Cheers for your input MYmacROX.

Yupp..."Summer" usually means anytime from late June to late September. It doesn't mean that's what will really happen...but that would be (according to Apple) the "launch window".

As others have mentioned...if you need the computer now...buy it now. Don't try to second guess Apple when they will launch something. If you're REALLY trying to get OS 10.7 "Lion" for free...then wait for the launch.

- Nick

Reaction score
I'm personally waiting for lion I'm gonna make a pretty hefty purchase and I don't really want the added expense In a few months of a os. I'm already gonna have to buy an update for my MBP

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pigoo3- yes mate, that's my dilemma. I want to get a free OSX lion. I saw the preview and it looks great. But waiting that long I will not get a lot of work done. Yeah I know what you mean about not second guessing the launch. I guess it's impossible for them to release it this week.

RustProofCorn - We're both on the same boat. It'd be great to have a new OS. I'm currently using snow leopard and it's really good, no problems at all. But the temptation of getting a new macbook is too much. I've been saving this long, everything's ready, except for Lion. Call me silly but I already saved a Booq vyper and a laptop lock in my ebay wishlist and might order them this week haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
The apple developer conference is june 6-10. They may announce the date then. Also if you have bought a mac extremely recently apple often offers a cheaper upgrade to the OS. (I think its only like 20 bucks or something). Probably would have to be within ~2weeks of Lion being released.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi thurstmw - yes I heard something like that mate. That's actually why I am thinking of just getting the macbook now, and maybe get the new OS later with the discount if they will give me one. If not, I'll stick with snow leopard for a while.
Cheers man.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey guys, just thought you should know. I made the move and bought the Macbook pro 15" model and I'm really happy with it.
Thanks to you McBie, MYmacROX, pigoo3, RustProofCorn, thurstmw for all your inputs.
It actually helped me decide to buy this now rather than waiting for the new OS.

Cheers.

DSC_0055.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey guys, just thought you should know. I made the move and bought the Macbook pro 15" model and I'm really happy with it.
Thanks to you McBie, MYmacROX, pigoo3, RustProofCorn, thurstmw for all your inputs.
It actually helped me decide to buy this now rather than waiting for the new OS.

Ahh...so pretty!!!:) I almost always buy used...so I don't get to see those nice pretty boxes!;)

Congrats & have fun,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

Cheers.

DSC_0055.jpg

Very nice. Glad you made a decision and Im sure it's one you won't soon regret. Lion will be out in a matter of weeks or months (however you want to look at it) and then you'll have something else new to "play";D with.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks very much pigoo3!

MYmacROX- yes dfinitely mate, I'm looking forward to that one.

Take care guys! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks very much pigoo3!

MYmacROX- yes dfinitely mate, I'm looking forward to that one.

Take care guys! :)

Like "MymacROX" mentioned...when "Lion" comes out...you can purchase it (when you're ready) and that will be something new to "play with". And when OS 10.8, 10.9, etc. (or whatever they will call them) are released...you'll be buying them as well. So you almost never get away from spending money on the latest & greatest OS version...so you might as well start with "Lion"!;)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pigoo3 - Yeah I know mate, we can't keep up with technology haha.
I'm quite happy with Snow leopard to be honest. But I'm sure I will upgrade soon once I get new version of my softwares and find out it won't work with older OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.