Putting old MB hard drive in a new one?

Reaction score
Hi all,
My old Macbook recently died on me and I can't power it on at all. I know it will cost a lot for me to get it fixed so I just decided that I would sell it on eBay. I have two questions before I do it though.

1. If I remove the hard drive and sell it as is, the person buying it won't be able to retrieve any of my personal info right? Like in the log in screen, my log in icon and name won't appear?

2. If I purchase a Macbook the same model as my last would I be able to just put in my old hard drive and retrieve all of my files(iPhoto and Photobooth photos especially!) Is it an easy process?

I don't know much about these things please bare with me lol!
Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
What you probably want to do is put the old HD in a USB enclosure. That way, you won't have to open up your new Mac, and you can keep using the old HD.

Do a Google search for "USB hard drive enclosure", but be sure to look for a 2.5" (laptop-sized) SATA enclosure.

please bare with me lol!
Sorry, nudity is prohibited on this forum ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'll second putting the old drive in an enclosure. The advantage here is that you are not limited to purchasing the same model MacBook as you had before. You could go for a newer one if the budget permits and still use the data from your old drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yep, if you put it in an enclosure.. when you get your new mac, use the migration assistant to copy everything over (it'll ask when you first turn it on). Then you have an external drive for other usage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
If you pop it in the new computer it will load up just like it was your old computer and you wouldn't have to bother migrating anything. Enclosures work too though but they cost money. If you already have a 2.5inch external drive you can usually take them apart and replace the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yes, but chances are the new hard drive will be larger. There's always a trade-off. Oh and the last enclosure I bought ran me about $20.. tops

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.