Sound won't work

Reaction score
I just got a new 2011 Macbook Pro 15" and everytime I restart it or close it the sound won't work. I can plug some headphones in and out, and then the speakers will work again. But the only way I can get my speakers to work is if I plug some headphones in then out. I don't always have headphones with me, so how can I fix this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
As you probably know this shouldn't be happening. You could boot from an external HDD with another copy of OSX on it to try to pin down if this is software of hardware problem. My guess is on software so it may be fixable by reinstalling OSX.

Since this thing is pretty much brand spanking new you always have the option of bringing it into apple if you dont want to mess with it too much yourself and they will fix you up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Could be a sticky switch in the headphone port. If this wasn't new I'd suggest trying to activate it with a toothpick etc.. since it IS new though, I'd just insist on it being fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.