Display problem with MacBook

Reaction score
I have a 13" MacBook that's a little over 3 years old. Over the past couple of days, whenever it comes out of sleep the backlight for the screen will come on for a few seconds then shut off. The screen is still on (I can barely see what's on the screen), but not the backlight. By turning the brightness all the way down and then turning it up to one bar, I can get it to work after a while. But I want to figure out what the problem is and how much it might cost to get fixed. Any help would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Sounds like the LCD inverter is going bad. They are fairly cheap. ~10 bucks from ebay.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Agree with member thurstmw. That's a typical symptom of an inverter which is going bad. Take a look at the DIY instructions for changing one out at iFixit: The free repair manual. They also sell inverters.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
That was also the suggested cause for the problem in the second link I posted, so I guess that makes it 3 for 3 on a bad inverter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.