New user - Backup Query

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i5, 4GB, 500Gb HD, MBP372B/A, 15.6"
Hey folks

Just a quick and probably a simple question but when I bought my macbook pro in April, I have realised I did not receive any restore discs or backup discs etc, something i was familiar having with any PC or laptop i had bought.

Is there a different process to follow should something go wrong and a full re-install be required on my mac ???

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you buy the MBP new from Apple or was it used? If new, the recovery and install DVD set is included in a separate box packed with the computer.

Recovery - install disks are important as they are also used to trouble shoot your machine if it should need it.

If you bought the machine used and did not receive the DVD set from the previous owner, you should purchase a replacement set. Probably the least expensive thing to do is buy the retail version of Snow Leopard. It's $29 here in the US. May be slightly more expensive in your locale.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was bought new from an electronics retailer called COMET here in the UK. I have just also checked the box it come in to make sure and there is no discs or manuals in it either.

Should I go back to retailer or contact Apple ??

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Did it come in a nice fancy white box? If it did and there aren't any restore discs call Apple.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It did come in nice shiny new White box. I will take photo tomorrow and show you. How it come. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you contact Apple, they'll probably get you a set of restore discs for a shipping and handling charge. That should be a little cheaper than an Snow Leopard retail disc.

Also, if your Mac model is newer than whatever Snow Leopard release is on current retail discs, they might not even have the drivers for your model. So calling Apple is probably a good idea.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will call them in the morning as its still under the free 90 days that I bought the machine.

It come bundles with iLife , but i have my copy of office 11 and photoshop suite installed and lightroom so dont want tsomething going wrong. In the instance that maybe it ever needs to be reset then i would like to be prepared for it.

Thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I will call them in the morning as its still under the free 90 days that I bought the machine.

It come bundles with iLife , but i have my copy of office 11 and photoshop suite installed and lightroom so dont want tsomething going wrong. In the instance that maybe it ever needs to be reset then i would like to be prepared for it.

Thanks all.
The wonderful thing about the current install is it defaults to 'Archive and install', which will move your apps back after the installation. Along with your settings, user account data etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Snow Leopard does not default to "Archive and Install". It's not built in as was with Leopard. There is a work around, however. Snow Leopard will install over itself without destroying applications and personal data. It only replaces system files and other files that it needs for the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Ahhh yes, I got the improvement wrong. It's been too long since I've had to do that

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.