problem with netgear wireless router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
OK, i have had two netgear routers now. The first was a 30 dollar one that went weird after a power outing. It would not keep the settings and it would not allow any internet after about 1 hour. So i went and got another one (more expensive) and it was working great for about a week. it went out friday night so i reset it and everything was working fine. Well last night at about 1 a.m. it went down again. I reset it this morning but this is making me really mad. This is the second Netgear that i have had do this to me. I called tech support and, while they were very helpful setting the router up, they blamed the problem on me DSL provider. I pointed out to them that it was not the DSL because if i unplug the router and plug in just my modem it works just fine and NEVER dies on me.

When the router "goes down" it cuts out all internet. To the one wired mac and the 2 wireless macs. I checked for firmware updates and stuff like that but nothing.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
Yes. Get another router. I had loads of Netgear stuff and got rid of the lot, as I had major reliability issues with pretty much all of it.

I would say that their power supplies are a source of many headaches, so it might be worth changing it.

I dabbled with Linksys, but now I'm using Apple Airport Express routers; the downside is that you still need a third party ADSL modem (I'm using Dlink, but not tremendously impressed with it). The only thing I've found which consistently works is the Apple stuff. You pay more for it, but there's a reason for that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just curious, what was the model of the first Netgear? I have an MR814V2 and it's been very stable, maybe reset once in 3-5 months at the most, but I have heard of others and especially the Version 1 of my router with a lot of disconnection problems.

My cheep Linksys's usually went down every few weeks and had to be reset but the newer and higher priced Linksys's are rock soild.

I am sure like Thermidor that the Apple routers would work great but do cost a lot.

The most stable router I ever had on DSL here was a CHEEP CompUSA thing but it finally died one day after a year, but never ever went down. Wish it kept working!!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
The first was a WGR614 v6 (i think) and this second one is a WGT624 v3. I know the frist was that model but i am not sure of the version number.

Well i am going to go back today and try to find another router.

Please give me some suggestions!!

Thanks

I am looking into getting the WRT54G or WRT54GS. Is the extra money worth it for the GS version??

And i have heard about hacked firmware. What exactly does that do?? I raelly need to be enlightend on that subject.

Thanks again

B

badmojo

I have a WGR614 Netgear and it worked fine for about a week, then it dropped the signal every couple hours. I changed the channel I was on using macwireless.com's WiFi widget, to something distant from what my neighbor's use. Now everything works pretty good.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
badmojo said:
I have a WGR614 Netgear and it worked fine for about a week, then it dropped the signal every couple hours. I changed the channel I was on using macwireless.com's WiFi widget, to something distant from what my neighbor's use. Now everything works pretty good.

Changeing tha channel does not help. I have used 3 different channels and it really does not seem to help. The thing that i don;t get is that i live in BFE and there is no one around me that could interfere with my signal. And we have only on wireless phone in the house.

Oh, well guess it is time to look at a different brand as netgear does not seem to agree with me.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
go with linksys mate

expensive i know but never had a prob with any of my gear and no one i know has had any (real anyway) probs with them

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ended up getting the WGT54G. I have had it on for about 8 hours now. Stuff seems fine. Setup was actually easier then the netgears so... We will see how this one holds up.

I just wish that Linksys could make there routers look like Netgears. Netgears router matched my iMac and iBook so well. ;)

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.