Cannot re-install Mac OS X Snow Leopard!

Reaction score
A couple of months I completely removed mac of my computer to reinstall it for a reason which I can't remember, only to find that my disc had been snapped in half so I couldn't re install it.

I received my Mac OS X Snow Leopard V10.6 Retail Family Pack in the post this morning, unpacked, inserted it into my computer, tried to boot. The apple logo came up with the little loading sign, after about 5 minutes of waiting the screen goes grey and a notification comes up saying something like "You need to restart your computer". Done that, tried to re-boot the disc and it done it again. Tried five times and it still done it! My computer recognizes the disk, and it recognizes it in windows.

I have the late 2010 iMac and this disc is the exact same type as the old broken disc which I have used previously with success.

Does anyone know what's wrong or what I can do? :(

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB
A couple of months I completely removed mac of my computer to reinstall it for a reason which I can't remember, only to find that my disc had been snapped in half so I couldn't re install it.

I received my Mac OS X Snow Leopard V10.6 Retail Family Pack in the post this morning, unpacked, inserted it into my computer, tried to boot. The apple logo came up with the little loading sign, after about 5 minutes of waiting the screen goes grey and a notification comes up saying something like "You need to restart your computer". Done that, tried to re-boot the disc and it done it again. Tried five times and it still done it! My computer recognizes the disk, and it recognizes it in windows.

I have the late 2010 iMac and this disc is the exact same type as the old broken disc which I have used previously with success.

Does anyone know what's wrong or what I can do? :(

Thanks.

Did you hold the option key when you booted up?

OP
F
Reaction score
Yes. I held that down, selected the disc, pressed enter, looked like it was loading then the grey screen come up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB
Yes. I held that down, selected the disc, pressed enter, looked like it was loading then the grey screen come up.

You have a newer Mac not sure why this would happen. Do you have access to another Mac?

OP
F
Reaction score
Nope I don't unfortunately.

I was thinking that it may be my disk drive, but it works perfectly fine with everything else. Maybe I have a faulty disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It could be either the Leopard disk, or you disk drive, or something wrong with the bios. But its definitely not your hard drive. Sorry for your troubles.

OP
F
Reaction score
I think I'll have to return this disc for another one, and then see what happens... I'm hoping it is just the disk!

Thank you for your help :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A 2010 iMac would have shipped with 10.6. From my understanding a retail SL disc is not going to work. You need the disc that shipped with the machine.

Give Apple a call and ask for a set of replacement discs.

(edit: there is no BIOS on Macs)

OP
F
Reaction score
A 2010 iMac would have shipped with 10.6. From my understanding a retail SL disc is not going to work. You need the disc that shipped with the machine.

Give Apple a call and ask for a set of replacement discs.

(edit: there is no BIOS on Macs)

My disk is 10.6, so I assumed it would work. It said it was "suitable for a clean install"...

Humm, I'll have to try and give them a call.

Thank you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yeah a retail 10.6 disk may not have all the updated drivers, etc needed for your Mac since it came out after 10.6 depending on the actual retail copy you purchased.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Macs 2010 and newer cannot use a retail install disc. They require the the discs which came with them because they need drivers which are not included in the retail version. Call apple to try to get new system discs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.