Compatibility/Imac G4

Reaction score
Hello, this is mostly software related but is an issue of compatibility so I posted it here!

I bought an iMac G4 2 days ago, it works great.....but all the software I need and am willing to pay for isn't compatible with X 10.4.11. I've tried to find older software for purchase, but it seems apple software disappears from the face of the earth when a new version is released.

I need iLife, so what would you reccommend, firstly, and also, what is the newest Operating system I can install on this machine?

Also thank you in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

For older Mac applications go to the old Mac apps web site, LINK and browse around there.

The latest operating system you can install on the G4 is Leopard 10.5.8, however, I'm not certain of its memory requirements or CPU\speed to run it. And, since Leopard 10.5.8 (retail version) still sells for $100 or more, my advice is to stick with Tiger.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello, this is mostly software related but is an issue of compatibility so I posted it here!

I bought an iMac G4 2 days ago, it works great.....but all the software I need and am willing to pay for isn't compatible with X 10.4.11. I've tried to find older software for purchase, but it seems apple software disappears from the face of the earth when a new version is released.

I need iLife, so what would you reccommend, firstly, and also, what is the newest Operating system I can install on this machine?

Also thank you in advance!

You could shop e-Bay for an older version of iLife that is compatible with OS 10.4.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.