Applejack vs Onyx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac osx 10.5.8
Is there a difference between these two applications. If so what are the main differences. I use Applejack, but was wondering if I should use Onyx as well. I have had a little trouble with system freezing from time to time.
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The main difference is the lack of a GUI in Applejack. Go to the Source Forge web site and read their description and explanation. LINK

If you're a new or recent switcher to the Mac and OS X, I do not recommend using Applejack. OnyX is very easy to use, has good help, and will for the most part do the job as well as Applejack.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac osx 10.5.8
I am not a new or recent switcher to Mac, however I would say I'm in the 70% range of computer smarts. Why should I not use Applejack. I have used it twice and don't see any problem so far of using it. Why would one pick one over the other?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're experienced and have used Applejack and like it, then by all means continue using it. Folks who do not like working from the terminal should probably use OnyX or another maintenance utility.

You're asking a purely subjective question which will garner a subjective response.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac osx 10.5.8
I usually have only used the Disk Utility and have recently started using Applejack. I just wanted to know if there was a difference between the two in regards to what functions each perform. Thank you for your input. Regards!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.