Powerbook G4 Problems

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Powerbook G4 (667MHz, 1.1 USB, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, 32MB ATI) but...

1. It's running 10.5.8, performance could be better, I've tried OnyX etc, any way I can roll back the updates to 10.4 or earlier? Original system was Panther.

2. The battery doesn't charge past a point (was 49%, then 24%, now 30%), any tips on calibration or something else to fix it?

3. Combo drive doesn't take a disk at all. I'd love to have this fixed as this would allow me clean installs, potentially Linux etc - Otherwise is there a way to install a new disk image from within OS X?

Thanks in advance for any help, I've tried various things already like repairing permissions; OnyX stuff, PRAM etc - Any general performance tips for an older machine would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hi, my thoughts here:

I recently acquired a Powerbook G4 (667MHz, 1.1 USB, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, 32MB ATI) but...

1. It's running 10.5.8, performance could be better, I've tried OnyX etc, any way I can roll back the updates to 10.4 or earlier? Original system was Panther.

2. The battery doesn't charge past a point (was 49%, then 24%, now 30%), any tips on calibration or something else to fix it?

3. Combo drive doesn't take a disk at all. I'd love to have this fixed as this would allow me clean installs, potentially Linux etc - Otherwise is there a way to install a new disk image from within OS X?

Thanks in advance for any help, I've tried various things already like repairing permissions; OnyX stuff, PRAM etc - Any general performance tips for an older machine would be appreciated.

1> You could roll back by erasing the HD and doing a completely clean install from a Tiger disc, or to Panther from it's original install discs, however, issue 3 prevents that UNLESS you have a firewire external disc drive, in which case you can boot from that. I think it is possible to install from a USB stick with an image, but I have not done so, and am unsure as to the legality. You could add RAM to improve it's oerformance with Leopard though, but the real limiting factor is the processor here, very slow for Leopard, in fact not even minimum spec I believe, so not sure how it copes at all.

2> The battery will be on it's way out (I have 2 like it, in fact neither charge, so I am tied to mains power). You can buy them still, but at around £40 you have to really consider if it's worth it given the status of the Powerbook now.

3> Yes, it's possible to replace the combo drive, but again, cost is an issue, and buying an external disc drive would be cheaper and easier to be fair.

Overall, given it's value, it would not seem worth the effort to repair and upgrade it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Cheers for the reply

AFAIK, it can't boot from USB at all - hard drives, disk drives or thumb drives.

I'm trying to source a firewire drive for free/cheap right now, maybe put Linux on it, or get a Panther/Tiger disk from a friend.

I'll try recharging the battery now I've fully drained it. I'm not too fussed if it needs the power lead all of the time, as long as I can do something to perk the system up a little more.

I'm trying lightweight apps the now as I'm with you - my processor is the bottleneck.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could I do this, or something similar?

Create a hard-drive based OS X installer - Mac OS X Hints

Otherwise lightweight apps and ideas are appreciated.

OP
S
Reaction score
I've managed to wrangle more life out of the battery and I'm getting it up to 88%, not too bad for a 10 year old laptop!

I'm starting a new thread to address the optical drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Really sorry, I missed your first reply. I swear sometimes not all threads show when I come back on.
Will check your other tread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And G4 machines will not boot from USB - must be Firewire.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.