Restore iTunes through iPhone?

Reaction score
Hi, recently my Mac stuffed up and I had to reinstall my Snow Leopard. I backed up all of my data on a external hard drive, so thankfully I have my iTunes music and all that. But, I have an iPhone 4 and am afraid to sync it with the new iTunes, as I will lose all of my contacts and app data. Is there any way that I can sync my iPhone, but not lose any contacts or app data?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Check out Phoneview. May be able to save your app data and then place it back on after sync. Have not tried it - only found this app a few days ago myself.

As for contacts - it should sync the two contact lists. Make sure you head for the Info tab, scroll all the way down, under Advanced, uncheck everything.

Make sure you create a backup - right click on the iphone in the sidebar and select Back Up.

OP
A
Reaction score
Wow, certainly is... powerful. I got a few things out of it, but if I restore my iPhone and have all of my app data, can I place it back? And if I have backed up my iPhone now, can I restore it at any time?

OP
A
Reaction score
And will I be able to restore my in-app purchases if I just replace the app data's files?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You're asking more than I know about it yet. Am just playing with it myself this morning, still in the trial mode.

But, here's access to the Myst save file - I just experimented making.

20110521-cxaimkpiq5ukpu26pyiy33iiq2.jpg

Looks like it gives you access to everything in the app folders. Checked out the Kindle app and all me ebooks are there if I wanted to back those up.

Looks like to copy to the iPhone, you browse in Phoneview to the location you want to 'save to', then click the Copy to iPhone button to browse and select what you want to move to that location from your Mac. I just tried a random document.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.