MacBook Pro 2010 15" CRASH

Reaction score
I have a 2010 MacBook Pro, Core i7, Nvidia GeForce 330M, 4gb Ram, 2.66 Ghz.

Over the past month or so the computer crashes unexpectedly.

What exactly I mean by crash. The screen goes black, keyboard is still lit, computer is still running ( can hear it), audio "loops"...skips or w/e..sounds terrible, and cannot force quit, "option command esc", I have tried the screen intensity all the way down then up, no joy though...
I am forced to hold down power button till turns off then restart.
It provides an error report but don't understand a thing it says...

Not sure if its just me but it seems to do it when i move the trackpad very quickly upwards (not sure if that could do that but have no other clues)

Please help with this. I have repaired all permissions and stuff, reinstalled OSX, and can't bring my mac in for repair as i am in Mexico until next month.

Hopefully I can get help from the community!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can you copy the error report and post it here so we can take a look at it?

OP
P
Reaction score
No problem, As far as i can tell it seems to be a logic board issue.
Thanks for the help.
Please see attached screen shot.

Screen shot 1 2011-05-20 at 4.20.42 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The BSD is occurring with the process "WindowServer" which could be just about anything. It may in fact be a logic board failure of some sort. But that's not definitive. Why don't you try running the Apple Hardware Test to see what errors if any come up?

See the following LINK.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi,

I performed the hardware test both the simple and extended and it came back no troubles?

Thanks for the help thus far...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the Apple Hardware Test passed OK, that means there is no obvious hardware error present at the time the test was done. However, with intermittent crashes and KPs, the actual defect may not show up.

Kernel Panics are usually caused by a hardware error. Try the best you can to eliminate any external hardware that you have attached to the machine such as printers, fax, scanners, dongles, whatever. If possible, open up the machine and reseat the memory modules. Pull them out one by one and push them back in.

Not much you can do with the hard drive for now but they will sometimes cause a KP if they're going bad. If you've recently installed any software, try removing it to see if that helps.

Otherwise, hang on the best you can until you return to the states and can have the machine looked at by Apple.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi chscag

Just had another crash,
I reseated the the memory yesterday i have nothing external plugged in.
Just thought i should write and let you know, please find the latest crash report attached.
Thanks again

Screen shot 2011-05-26 at 12.44.12 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.