Magic Trackpad and erratic cursor movement

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just joined the forum.

So, I'm on my second MTP, paired to a 2008 15" 2.4 Ghz pre-unibody MBP w/ 6GB RAM, a 60GB SSD boot drive, a 500GB drive in place of the DVD drive and running SL 10.6.7, w/ BetterTouchTool installed.

I really like the MTP, it's pretty awesome, when it works. The problem I'm having is that it works great for a while, then the cursor tracking gets really jerky and erratic, lasting for seconds to minutes. The only solution I've found it turning it off and then on again (IT Crowd?). I took the MTP and my MBP up to the Apple store a couple days ago, demonstrated the problem and the rep gave me a new one, even though both it and my MBP are now out of warranty. The new one is producing the same behavior.

Another thing I tried was using it under a different user account, as the Apple rep suggested it could possibly be a software corruption or conflict in either my main user account or at the system level.

I've also found several threads on the Apple Discussion Forums but no one really has a real solution, and Apple doesn't know it's a (big enough) problem yet. Is anyone here experiencing this behavior on their MTP?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.