Time machine

Reaction score
Hey,

I made a backup with time machine. (its like 127GB).
Next time it back ups will it only put new files in the backup or backup 127GB again?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first Time Machine backup is always large and will take awhile to accomplish. Subsequent backups should be faster and smaller. It has been my experience that TM will add any changes you have made since your last backup to the new one.

If you're running VM software, keep in mind that a VM can be very large and any change to it will be backed up by TM.

OP
Mac Math
Reaction score
The first Time Machine backup is always large and will take awhile to accomplish. Subsequent backups should be faster and smaller. It has been my experience that TM will add any changes you have made since your last backup to the new one.

If you're running VM software, keep in mind that a VM can be very large and any change to it will be backed up by TM.

VM = Virtual Machine = stuff like Windows on a Mac?

Thanks for the answer. What happens if my backup disk isn't connect? I read that time machine back ups each hour? I'm not planning to plug in the backup drive all the time ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If the backup disk isn't connected, it won't back up, obviously But it will automatically back up the next time you plug it in. You can also start a backup at any time by choosing "Back up now" from the Time Machine icon in the menu bar.

OP
Mac Math
Reaction score
and if I delete files of my mac will those same files be removed from the backup?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The deleted files will not be removed from past backups, only from the current backup. And that's a good thing because you can always go backward in time to retrieve files that you may have inadvertently deleted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
and if I delete files of my mac will those same files be removed from the backup?

The deleted files will not be removed from past backups, only from the current backup. And that's a good thing because you can always go backward in time to retrieve files that you may have inadvertently deleted.

So another way to say that is Time Machine only adds whatever is new to the existing backup. As chscag said, nothing is taken away from your backup even if you delete files on your Mac.
It's really a great piece of Mac OS X.

OP
Mac Math
Reaction score
So another way to say that is Time Machine only adds whatever is new to the existing backup. As chscag said, nothing is taken away from your backup even if you delete files on your Mac.
It's really a great piece of Mac OS X.

Yeah except my backup drive will be full in no time ... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Yeah except my backup drive will be full in no time ... :(

Depends on the capacity of your backup drive ;P

I have a 250 GB internal and a 500 GB Time Capsule.
After 3 years, still going strong, the backup disk is nowhere near full, and Time Machine runs every hour.

Disk capacity is cheap so it is a no brainer actually .

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
You'll be good with that setup if you don't have any Virtual Machines.
As soon as you launch a VM ( which is usually 1 flat file ), that file changes and becomes a candidate for backup, every time.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
What happens when it fills up is it deletes the oldest stuff and keeps going. In essence, it never technically "fills up". It just makes room for new. But with a 1TB or 500GB backup, you're talking about possibly months or a year of old stuff that would be written over. Probably stuff you already have saved in current backups.

C

chas_m

One last note and then a summary of what's been written above:

You can exempt any folder or file from being backed up by Time Machine, and if you do have a Windows virtualization environment on your Mac (ie Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox), you will want to exempt (as in "not back up") the virtual machine file, as backing it up will cause TM to update far, far longer than it normally would need to, and fill up your backup drive faster.

So to summarize:

After the initial backup, Time Machine only takes a few seconds every hour to update that backup with only things that have changed. It retains things you have thrown away in past backups so you can retrieve them if necessary, and it automatically self-deletes the very oldest backup updates as the drive or volume approaches capacity, so there's no reason for you to worry about it (but having a backup drive that is larger than the capacity of your boot drive is best so that you can reliably store many months worth of changes).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.