• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Verizon Wireless may end unlimited data plans this summer

Reaction score
Verizon Wireless may end unlimited data plans this summer

112778375.jpg

The Verizon iPhone launched with a unlimited data plan, but that all-you-can-eat option may be disappearing this summer. During the Reuters Global Summit, Verizon chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo hinted that the carrier's unlimited data plans would be replaced by a mega-data plan.

These new data plans would offer data in the same way a family share plan handles voice minutes. A subscriber would buy a tiered data plan whose GB allotment could be shared by multiple devices. Shammo did not mention pricing or even when these mega-plans would roll out. He said these plans were "a logical progression" for the carrier. Such a plan would make sense for someone with a Verizon iPhone and a 3G iPad, as long as the pricing is kept in check.

No worries if you are already on an unlimited data plan, you will be able to keep your plan as long as you keep your iPhone. If you switch to another phone or buy a new phone, then you will have to upgrade to these new plans.

Verizon Wireless may end unlimited data plans this summer originally appeared on TUAW on Fri, 20 May 2011 10:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
For my needs a shared data plan across all devices would be welcomed. I have phones that can do data but don't just because of the added cost. I will be anxious to see how all of this pans out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Verizon stated when they first released the iPhone with the unlimited plan that it was a promotional plan and would be going away.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
For my needs a shared data plan across all devices would be welcomed. I have phones that can do data but don't just because of the added cost. I will be anxious to see how all of this pans out.

Yeah, I tend to agree... but only if they have some kind of mechanism that warns you when you approach the cap. It's too easy to hit a threshold like 1GB, depending on what you do.

But I would like to have two iPhones, each with a $15 data plan. My wife has been eyeing up my iPhone for the past few weeks lately and I know that she'd jump on it if it wouldn't spike up our bill by another $30... and since I use less than 1GB on average, the threshold wouldn't have to be too high.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Yes, something would be needed to notify the users. I like on the iPad that AT&T sends a push notification that less than x% is remaining for the current billing period. My wife and I usually use less than a gig a month on our iPhones, and the MiFi only gets a gig or so. I would love to see a 5 to 10gig plan spread across all devices and that would allow my son with his Env touch to get data too.

Reaction score
Data will follow the same trajectory as voice plans . . . we all started out with "pay as you go" voice plans that are now essentially "all you can eat" with some upper limits. Ultimately, each carrier will provide a data plan usable by any device you have up to some limit for a flat rate. As hard as each is trying to avoid being a commodity provider, the fact is that bandwidth is a commodity and the market will drive it there over the long run (despite momentary fluctuations that will cause all manner of hyperventilating in the short run).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.