Budget Software Suggestions

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm in need some photo editing software with decent text editing facilities... it needs to have text to path (mostly just circles) and have text effects (mainly shadows and borders).

I currently use Photoshop which I love but I need to buy something... and Photoshop is expensive (and in many ways excessive).

Is there anything cheaper or free out there that can offer these text editing facilities along with relatively simple photo editing tools?

Just to add to this...
"GIMP" - yes I know, but I have tried and tried and don't get on with it at all... and the text effects I'm after have to be done manually... I think.

"InkScape" - Great for the paths but lacks the photo editing bits.

"You can easily add text effects manually with layers" - yeah I know, but I do this ALOT as part of my job, so a "border" button etc seriously speeds up my day.

I've looked at every lower cost package I can find but I'm struggling to find an answer. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys.

OP
flarts
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
I've been having a good look at both of these all day which both seem excellent for the money. The problem I have right now is I don't have a Mac here to test them out on.

Pixelmator... from what I can gather, there may some filters that will achieve the goal... not ideal if it's destructive and/or not as flexible as text to path.

Acorn 3... this seems perfect from what I gather from the website. It has various text rotating options and vector tools as well as appropriate filters so you'd think it would be just what I'm after. I intend to wade through the manual on this one to see what I can suss out... from what I've deduced so far curving text to path isn't actually possible.

But of course, anyone uses either of these and can confirm or deny they will do the job I'm all ears :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
+1 for Pixelmator

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.