trying to spoof processor speed

Reaction score
I am trying to spoof my processor speed to install leopard on my ibook g3 800mhz dual usb computer. I have read about spoofing the processor speed in open firmware. the instructions were to type this into openfirmware:

dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0
d# 867000000 encode-int " clock-frequency" property
boot cd:,\\:tbxi

I get i get an error when i type it or modify it to ",G3"

I have read that it won't work on 800Mhz g3 processors but was wondering if anyone knew a solution like this one because this is the last step i have to complete before getting started.

Also, If you have information on changing the processor information when installing from dmg let me know what it is.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As you may know...officially you need an 867mhz G4 cpu to install OS 10.5 Leopard. For slower systems...it's possible to do it using a program called "Leopard Assist":

LeopardAssist | Supported Systems

I think that the problem you're facing is...you're trying to install Leopard on a computer that neither meets the minimum cpu speed requirements or the cpu generation".

i.e. You need an 867mhz cpu & have an 800mhz cpu. You need a G4 cpu & you have a G3 cpu.

FYI...here are the system requirements for OS 10.5 Leopard:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3759

HTH,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never tried Leopard Assist on a G3 CPU. I have a strong feeling its not going to work with a G3. Works fine here with my 667 MHZ G4 though in my Power Mac DA.

Do give Leopard Assist a go though and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if it does install on a G3, why would you want to use it as it would be as slow as a wet week!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Van, it's useable for basic things. DVD player chokes as it needs a 1.5Ghz CPU to fast search. Safari works for basic browsing and chat and mail. Itunes.

For a non critical user, it's workable! :D

OP
D
Reaction score
I tried leopardassist 1.1 and 1.2 i can go through some of the wizard but it stalls in the processing so I don't get to boot the installer.

I also made the dmg file into a partition. tried booting it but only got the apple with the turning symbol.

OP
D
Reaction score
i just tried leopardassist 2.3.3 all it did was take me to openfirmware and put in dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0 the computer responded the same error. I had the error on my mind but i just forgot it. basically it just reports no command found or file or something like that. (new to macs)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just tried leopardassist 2.3.3 all it did was take me to openfirmware and put in dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0 the computer responded the same error. I had the error on my mind but i just forgot it. basically it just reports no command found or file or something like that. (new to macs)

Did you read the link that I provided earlier???...here's a quote from the link:

LeopardAssist | Supported Systems

"Any machines not listed on here support Mac OS X Leopard natively, exception being the G3 series which does not work at all due to lack of the AltiVec Instruction Set."

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah I read that. I guess I'll try going back to the making packages to get around the cpu checking. I've seen lots of it on youtube on g3 computers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if you can get it working, It's going to be VERY SLOW on any G3 CPU. It's not that fast on non supported G4's.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if you can get it working, It's going to be VERY SLOW on any G3 CPU. It's not that fast on non supported G4's.

Exactly my thoughts as well. I can certainly admire & respect someone with the skills to try to get Leopard to run on a G3 (via some sort of code tweak)...but even if successful...it will be like watching paint dry to get anything done on it.;)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Maybe you all are giving good advice. I thought that it wouldn't be slow because i'm running an 800mhz g3 with 640mb ram but if it would be slow then it could be the other parts of the g4 technology requiring a g4 and all.

What can I say. i bought this mac for 35 dollars on ebay to try it out and see if i like the mac platform. i love it and hardly ever put it down. I always had troubles finding a quality monitor and this little notebook has one. I am guilty of putting 30 dollars into it for ram that should have gone to the purchase of a newer mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe you all are giving good advice. I thought that it wouldn't be slow because i'm running an 800mhz g3 with 640mb ram but if it would be slow then it could be the other parts of the g4 technology requiring a g4 and all.

What can I say. i bought this mac for 35 dollars on ebay to try it out and see if i like the mac platform. i love it and hardly ever put it down. I always had troubles finding a quality monitor and this little notebook has one. I am guilty of putting 30 dollars into it for ram that should have gone to the purchase of a newer mac.

Hey...that G3 is fine for some things...it would just be better to run 10.4 "Tiger" on it. 10.5 Leopard just requires too much in terms of hardware. Remember Leopard needs a minimum of 512meg of ram. The 640meg you have exceeds that minimum...but not by much. You would be much better off with at least 1 gig of ram.

I have an 867mhz Powerbook G4 with 640 meg of ram running OS 10.4...and it runs it very nicely. 10.4 would probably do the same on your 800mhz iBook.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
640MB ram is the maximum for this system. I wanted to put leopard on it for compatability reasons like a new web browser. 10.4 tiger runs well on this computer. I use Sophos antivirus and it slows the system down some.

By the way if anyone is looking for a new browser for tiger try tenfourfox. it's a version of firefox.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
640MB ram is the maximum for this system. I wanted to put leopard on it for compatability reasons like a new web browser. 10.4 tiger runs well on this computer. I use Sophos antivirus and it slows the system down some.

By the way if anyone is looking for a new browser for tiger try tenfourfox. it's a version of firefox.
You can easily gain some speed back then by dumping Sophos. Not much support on this forum for using AV on Mac.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...-official-antivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.