CD/DVD drive not accepting disk, just sits in slot, please help

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Ok, I am fairly new at all things Mac. It's been fun but also challenging to find a solution. SO, please, I'm hoping someone, anyone, can help me out because I have been trying to read up on anything to help with my computer problem!

I have an iMac, version 10.5.8. My problem is with the optical disk drive.

When I try to insert a disk into the slot, the disk just ends up sitting in the slot. The disk won't go in, and when I try to push it in it just continues sitting in the slot. I've assumed a disk is stuck already but I have tried the tips I've found online for ejecting a disk but nothing has worked. I've fiddled with paper clips, credit cards but while it may seem like there is a CD stuck, I am pretty sure there is not one in there. In addition, there is no noise or other sign that comes on from a disk loading at all.

Whenever I try to open DVD player it comes up with an error: "A valid DVD drive could not be found. [-70012]"

Another advice I tried to follow was to re-start my computer and press: Command+O key+F key (to type in certain commands), however when I do this it just goes straight to the login screen. Plus, my computer takes a long time to load too and I'm not too sure why as I have hardly used this computer for the 1 1/2 years I've had it.

Now I'm not sure if my optical drive is affecting the speed on my computer. And vice versa, or because I bought it refurbished it was bad luck to begin with? (I don't know) :\ Anyways now I'm getting negative, but I would be much appreciative if anyone can give me suggestions on what else I can do.

No Applecare, and I'm a student so money is tight. THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums :D

Is the DVD drive listed in System Profiler? ( Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info... )

- Simon

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks so much Simon! :)

So I checked and the only thing I found close to what you asked was, "Disc Burning" under Hardware, which states that there is no burning device found. And "DVD Player" listed under Applications-Software.

Other than that nothing else.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the optical drive is not listed in the System Profiler application, it's likely that it failed and needs to be replaced. And that is not an easy task with an iMac. If you feel you would like to do it yourself, go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up their step by step replacement instructions. You would of course have to buy a replacement optical drive.

It may be easier to just buy an inexpensive external USB or FW optical drive and use it instead.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, darn! I guess my optical drive didn't have much life in it. Thank you, I suppose my only option now is to get an external drive. I saw that website too and I was tempted but I don't know, it does look a bit hard.

Thanks again :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.