Macbook Air or Macbook?

Reaction score
Hello i am a student in High school, i guess you could call me "Tech Savvy" because i run a forum (and know how it works). I use a laptop every day in the class room (have a learning disability) so i need a light computer (thus the mac line) i also need a computer that i well be able to right code on and develop websites on. I well also be running VMware (because of the student discount). The two laptops that it has come down to are the Macbook Air (base model) or Macbook (base model) they cost the same price at out local stores. What would you suggest?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Both will accomplish what you need.

However, you will be disappointed with the response of both the OSX and whatever OS you end up running in VMWare. Since using virtual machines requires the host machine to share its hardware with the virtual machine, both slow way down.

If you have to run a separate OS other than OSX for school, then I would strongly suggest getting the MacBook with a larger hard drive (and upgradeable down the line where the Air is not.) You can double the memory for $100 on either - do it. It will make a big difference especially if you are ****-bent on using VMWare.

OP
C
Reaction score
Both will accomplish what you need.

However, you will be disappointed with the response of both the OSX and whatever OS you end up running in VMWare. Since using virtual machines requires the host machine to share its hardware with the virtual machine, both slow way down.

If you have to run a separate OS other than OSX for school, then I would strongly suggest getting the MacBook with a larger hard drive (and upgradeable down the line where the Air is not.) You can double the memory for $100 on either - do it. It will make a big difference especially if you are ****-bent on using VMWare.

Ok thank you i was leaning towards the Macbook. I well be buying from a local store and all they have are the base models. I need to run a VB for some of my programs and compatibility reasons for school

OP
C
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
It is bran new off the line and had an issue at the time of testing it the only issue..

also same warranty and free shipping.

That is how I bought my iMac same product especially since it is this model year and Twice the machine of the macbook

Don't forget also that if you order a new one (not refurb) from apple you get a discount for being a student

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campaigns/education_pricing?mco=MTAyNTQzODI

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I would look into Bootcamp before VMware. It is included with osx.

OP
C
Reaction score
It is bran new off the line and had an issue at the time of testing it the only issue..

also same warranty and free shipping.

That is how I bought my iMac same product especially since it is this model year and Twice the machine of the macbook

Don't forget also that if you order a new one (not refurb) from apple you get a discount for being a student

Apple Education Pricing - Apple Store (U.S.)

Ok. And discount only applies to post secondary

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.