Would you buy the ROKR?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Well, looking at the poll, I think it would be pretty fair to say "the tribe has spoken" for this one.

I don't think this phone is going to fly among current mac users, but among PC users and self proclaimed "cell phone addicts," it would be interesting to see the results of a similar poll.

Reaction score
schweb said:
The RAZR is about a year old. Trying to compare a year old phone to a new one isn't really fair.

My phone is a year old. However I'm in europe where phones tend to be around a year or so ahead of anything in the US.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Jammers said:
My phone is a year old. However I'm in europe where phones tend to be around a year or so ahead of anything in the US.
I still don't see how that makes your comparison legitimate.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
inflexion said:
well compare the RAZR to the SE S700i then

ive got the S700i and its still got a 256k screen, expandable memory and a 1.3M Pixel camera, and the RAZR came out after the S700
Ok this is just getting stupid. The RAZR and the S700i are going after different markets.

Actually the screen on the RAZR is nicer, the form factor is smaller, the reception is better, and it weighs less. And from reviews I've read it has better battery life.

Regardless, this thread is about the ROKR so let's get back on track.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
Im not keen on the ROKR and will not be purchasing. I own a SE P900 and that is just fine for me, I can easily transfer my mp3 tracks for ringtones - (which is the only use any music has on a phone in my opinion).

If you dont have an ipod and need a new phone, then maybe it is for you but otherwise, I cannot understand why anybody would dump their current phone for this.

Apple would need to do something serious like design and build the UI of the phone for me to even consider but they are not phone makers so I doubt this will happen. If they thought they could do this, I guess the ROKR would never of happened.

I guess, no matter what the thread/poll/forum thinks, unit sales etc will provide the only true answer. I am suprised apple have put their name to this though.

I would like to see a brand spanking all backside kicking pda from apple and a tablet - now that would be something...

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Okay, this is how I see it with the ROKR. The ROKR is a cell phone, before it is a mp3 player. Cell phones as far as I can see get a lot of use, they need to be very rugged in design. That being said, the contemporary design that we all know and love with the iPod just would not hold up as good, if it was implemented into the design of the ROKR. So the contemporary design that we all love probably had to be comprised in order to extent the longevity of the product's life. If you look on the Apple website, Apple doesn't even pair the cell phone with the iPod product line, look here towards the top. As mac users, we tend to set our standards very high around the appeal, but this time around, I'm not going to apply it here with the ROKR. So I'd buy it, if I was ever in the market for a cell phone.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will put it this way, If I were not so BROKE right now and had the extra $$$, I would purchase a ROXR tomorrow. And this is coming from a Nokia user who loves and is very used to Nokia phones. I am sure I would have to relearn a few things, but the features as far as a phone are all there and a few like the camera that would come in handy in a pinch when I do not have my 4.1MP digi or Minolta XGM with me and having iTunes built in is just icing on the cake for me. That way unless I was going somewhere where I needed more of my music collection, the one phone would do it all for me. I just might purchase one as soon as I can come up with the extra $$$. Since I am with Cingular it would be perfect also.

My opinion for MY NEEDS anyway!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
I voted no because I dont like Cingular one bit for the area I live in. And if it was a part of the service I have, still no. I already have an iPod. But it is quite interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
i'm gonna say no. i have att/cingular and would probably look at getting the phone with the best reception/battery life/interface and and get my music fix from an ipod nano

J

jessica

I'd like to see a slicker phone come out and since we're talking about cingular, you know something else will have it by the end of the year....we may not see it for the 18 months due to the exlusionary deal, but I bet we see it on the razors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Yeah, I'm going to buy one in November when my current contract is up. But everyone's all "omfg guys! battery liife!!!!!1". That doesn't matter to me seeing as how I only use it at school mostly, then it's charged when I get home, which is 7 hours, and technically 30 minutes on the bus. So really, it will be on but in use for about an average of 1 and a half to 2 hours counting bus time, after school, and texting during class ;). And I really don't mind the 100 songs, I'm just going to put 100 of my favorite new songs. My 20 is getting old and has cracked open in several occasions. Plus that phone is sexy and I like it. I wouldnt want a RAZR because i HATE flip phones. The PEBL is nicer looking than the ROKR, but I like the features on the ROKR.

E

Eru

I voted yes because I think it is a cool concept. However, I would like to see a better version of this come out, with more features....basically a nicer phone with this would be cool.

T

TigerBoy

i wish we all lived in the world when phones were just, phones...

i voted no, im still sticking to my ericsson t65 (look it up, i dare you)

E

Eru

(outdated link removed)

Well, yes, there's your phone...and I agree in a way. Phones are just, well, PHONES after all. People are overdoing the whole "phone" scene way too much.

And yes, phone was in quotes for a REASON. *whispers* Lousy new camera phones...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
nothing wrong with a T65 the T68 was the best phone that i ever had really

T

trix213

im seriously thinkin of gettin it as my next phone.

it looks well built and more than just a gadgety phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I'm with the crowd who believes phones should be just that--phones. I use a basic Samsung Sch-n330. It's functional, great looking, small, and I've gotten more compliments on it than I can count. The reason I bought it though, was because it had a very strong vibrate function and loud ring so I could actually answer my calls. I used to miss about 65% of them with my Motorola V710. Now I miss about 15%. That being said, I think if I WAS with Cingular, I would either the Razr or the ROKR anyway, mainly because of the unbelievable battery life on both of those phones. I don't think the ROKR is a toy. It fulfills its PRIMARY function extraordinarily well, and THEN adds on the iPod-like function. I think it's a great piece of technological engineering, and would definitely consider it on those grounds.

Reaction score
schweb said:
On that we can completely agree. Moto should've just turned their whole UI over to Apple's engineers.

When Steve Jobs can't even get it going properly on a KEYNOTE, I can't help but wonder about Motorola's ability to create a well-thought-out interface.

I also think Motorola has a lot of work to do on their ergonomics. (Case in point: RAZR). I think Nokia has a much better track record with this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.