Can I install OS x from ibook to iMac?

S

sseale

I have an iMac that is running Mac OS X 10.2. I just purchased an iBook which is running OS X 10.4 Tiger.

I am wondering if I can install Tiger from my iBook installation disks, onto my iMac? I know I shouldn't install everything, but can I install JUST the OS X Tiger operating platform on my iMac from the disk that came with my iBook? Or are there compatability issues? Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
No, you cannot install it on another computer. That is a violation of the EULA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
You can not do this since the iBook disc's are only made to work on iBooks and not other computers such as the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually-it would probably work, but you aren't allowed since you only have 1 license.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
PowerBookG4 said:
You can not do this since the iBook disc's are only made to work on iBooks and not other computers such as the iMac.
Actually an OSX disk will work on any Mac with supported specs so in this case it would work. But as everyone has pointed out doing so would be illegal since you are only licensed to be running one copy of OSX 10.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
ryanyogan said:
The question was not could I legally, it was just can I do it. Yes you can with no problems, and no the FBI won't kick in your door.

No an iBook disk will not work on an iMac, they are hardware specific restore disks and the installation will not complete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Interesting. I have a set of Panther disks that say "eMac" and they install just fine on an iBook.

(FWIW, I bought these from a reputable dealer-- often mentioned in these forums-- and the disks came with its own, sealed EULA.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
well, if you were to delete it off one mac it would be legal (wouldnt it?)

i had osx.2 for an iBook, loaded right on my Beige G3

from what i gather, OSX has scripts to setup per mac. like, itll see whicih mac you have, locate the driver for that mac, and just install

however i think the OSX4 G5 disks might not work on a g4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
all legal questions aside, there should be no problem installing OSX slated for another system. i also bought mine from a legal vendor, sealed, meant for another type of system and it works fine for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
even with OEM PCs you can many times swap the disks, except dell in all their worthlessness, has to be exact to the serial/model number

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
MadSkillzMan said:
however i think the OSX4 G5 disks might not work on a g4

You are correct.

I tryed to do this for a Teacher at my school. He is the tech admin and i was his student aid. He ordered tiger discs and got a bad run i guess becuase no matter how many times he tryed to install it was always srewed up in the end. I had just gotten a new iMac G5 and i thought that my discs would work so i brought them in and he tryed them...well the install never would go anywhere. I ended up taking the disc back home and he found a disc that was for 10.3 and from an eMac. That worked fine so he installed form that and sent in a request for new tiger discs.

So G5 restore discs WILL NOT work on a G4 Macintosh computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
Yea i thought so, probably a real space saver to put only the 64bit OS on it...well i do have the osx.4 update dvd i got from apple for 10$, im not sure if itd work on only the G5 or not

i know the G5 osx.3 cd's you can play with

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.