• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple tells reps not to remove malware amid outbreak

Reaction score
Apple tells reps not to remove malware amid outbreak

macdefend.jpg
Apple is informing its technical support workers not to remove or even confirm or deny the presence of MACDefender/Mac Security malware on customers' computers, a leaked memo reveals. "Apple does not provide support or assistance in removal or diagnosis of malware," part of the the document reads. AppleCare representatives are in fact instructed to rule out any issues with Apple products, should a person acknowledge that they installed MACDefender/Mac Security or a variant....

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well, I saw a Genius in an Apple store remove MacDefender for some chick that brought her MBP in complaining of issues.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
May not be but, it may fool new Mac user or paranoid PC users to installing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Buy I bet they get a ton of people putting in the CC info to buy it.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
thing is its also easy to remove.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Buy I bet they get a ton of people putting in the CC info to buy it.

I would definitely be interested to see if anyone releases numbers on how many people were actually fooled into purchasing this fake software. Something tells me it isn't a large amount, but who knows? I'll keep my eyes peeled. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
BBC News - Fake security software catches out Apple owners

Hundreds of people who installed the software have turned to Apple's forums for help to remove it.
The number of people seeking help was uncovered by ZDNet journalist Ed Bott. In a blog post, he wrote about finding more than 200 separate discussions on Apple's official forums about MACDefender.

And thats just Apple's "Official" Forums lol

- Simon

Reaction score
This is like my parents telling me that "yes, you are sick, but, we have to go to work, so you have to take care of yourself" or "yes, you are sick, but, you're going to school".

I think what Apple is doing here is trying to get its user base to learn how to deal with things like this, and get rid of it themselves. Besides, it is the users fault that the malware is on there.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Secretly Sophos and Norton are thrilled to death - they probably have thousands of new customers out of this. :|

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This is like my parents telling me that "yes, you are sick, but, we have to go to work, so you have to take care of yourself" or "yes, you are sick, but, you're going to school".

I think what Apple is doing here is trying to get its user base to learn how to deal with things like this, and get rid of it themselves. Besides, it is the users fault that the malware is on there.

I humbly disagree. This is all about saving face. This problem would have never existed if it wasn't for Safari auto-opening "safe" files. They screwed up royally and I'm certain they just don't want to admit to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3/11 17" MBP 8g/500 Glossy, IPod Touch 4thgen 8gig, 32Gig Verizon 3G + WiFi IPadII
May not be but, it may fool new Mac user or paranoid PC users to installing it.

Which never happened to me because before buying my first Apple, a MBP this past March....I stopped in here. Read the FAQ. Know that I don't need antivirus and that Apple will handle it...by design, closed ports, automatic SW updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Linked in another thread but here is what it looks like
What a Mac malware attack looks like | ZDNet
To summarize how many things you have to do to get this trojan to really cause issues
1:Click on a poison link
2:Click on a Install dialog (even though you are looking for a picture)
3 Put in your Administrator Password
4:Fill out a "registration" with credit card information
4a: I've read that it basically denies every card you put in so that you keep putting in different credit cards.

Folks - Please stop at #3 - ask yourself why are you putting in an Admin Password when you were searching for a picture? Always be weary of putting in your Admin Password.
For example:
Why does that notepad text editor need to modify system files?
Why does a video codec need to modify system files? (Some things may ask you if you want to install for everyone - I would recommend against this unless you trust the source)
When you install illegal software - it will probably ask you for your admin password as well - so it can modify system files - why would you get illegal software anyway?
You get the gist.

Your admin password is the key to the kingdom - would you hand out keys to your house/car/boat/motorcycle/etc willy nilly?

Schweb - you get a Virtual Coke - many people do just type in their admin password when asked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Yeah, it amazes me how people don't pay any attention to what they are doing. I keep the "Open safe files" option checked off in Safari. Why? Because I'm lazy.

But when I saw the picture for the window that pops up saying you are infected, I knew I wasn't going to get caught.
1. My Finder windows don't have Safari toolbars and buttons
2. My Finder Sidebar doesn't have half the things listed in that one.
3. My Finder sidebar icons are different thanks to Candybar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3/11 17" MBP 8g/500 Glossy, IPod Touch 4thgen 8gig, 32Gig Verizon 3G + WiFi IPadII
Folks - Please stop at #3 - ask yourself why are you putting in an Admin Password .

Well, under the conditions you cite, yes, but to be fair, as a new Mac user I have gotten used to the system asking me to enter my password with conventional looking dialogue box whenever I make certain changes to settings.

At first it had me wigged out and I stopped doing what I was doing and canceled ...out out out *** is this doing this to me? Had I done something stoopit? Was guessing that I downloaded something by mistake and something vicious had jumped the fence and since it was my system pw I was like...WHY do you need that? It appears it was prophylactic to prevent something ELSE from messing with the system.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Which never happened to me because before buying my first Apple, a MBP this past March....I stopped in here. Read the FAQ. Know that I don't need antivirus and that Apple will handle it...by design, closed ports, automatic SW updates.

That's cause you have common sense and you found this forum. What about the countless souls that don't have common sense and never found us? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I humbly disagree. This is all about saving face. This problem would have never existed if it wasn't for Safari auto-opening "safe" files. They screwed up royally and I'm certain they just don't want to admit to it.

You sure? I guarantee you there a lot of dumb people that would easily be tricked into installing it even if Safari didn't open it for them.

Reaction score
What I can't understand is, if a person doesn't have a AV on their system, (most don't) why would they be tricked into installing this thing or fooled?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.