Macbook Pro as a gift

Reaction score
Hi there!

I am from Portugal, but I am planning to study in US this summer. I want to buy a MacBook Pro 15" (2.2ghz configuration) for my girlfriend's birthday. I am planning to buy the laptop in the US Web MacStore and send it to Portugal by USPS Express Mail International. But in way to pass thru the Portuguese Custom with minimum taxes I need to send her like a gift so I need the "Gift Ticket".

How can I do that? Anybody can help me, giving me instructions for doing that in the right way?

Thanks,

Fred

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

When you send the MBP to your friend in Portugal you will be required to fill out a US customs form. On the form the MBP may be declared as a gift.

However, it's up to the Portuguese custom authorities as to whether it can be imported to Portugal duty free. It probably will not and your friend will likely have to pay customs and VAT. You might be able to hand carry it back with you to Portugal and enter duty free. But again, that would be up to customs there to decide.

C

chas_m

Take some advice from a fellow world traveller: Don't attempt to "smuggle" this unit into Portugal or otherwise avoid duty/taxes. Mark it as a gift on the customs form (since that is true), pay what they tell you to pay (if anything ...) and smile about the savings you got from the US exchange rate. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature.
Up to Customs to decide. They might let you take it with you on the plane and may or may not charge fees, but I don't know that for sure.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
He doesn't need to be concerned about US customs if he purchases the MBP in the US. His concern would be with the Portuguese customs folks upon entry into Portugal. He would have to declare the item and likely pay import duty and VAT.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.