Moving hard drives between Macs

Reaction score
I'm moving from one MacBook to the other. Now, I want to move over the actual hard drive, as the one in the old MacBook is bigger and better than the new one. So, I can't just use the built in moving-over function of the OS, and most comfortable would be to just move the drive over with system and all.

Can anyone tell me if MacOS will run on happily if I move a drive with an existing system over to a different computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Your computer won't like running off a new hdd with all the files set in place for an older/ different model. Best thing to do would be to get a 2.5" sata enclosure with USB connection, place the HDD you want to go into the new macbook into the enclosure.
Boot the new macbook into the OSX disk that came with it then go to Disk Utility > Restore. Plug the USB enclosure into the macbook.
From the left pane drag the internal drive into the "Source" box and the USB drive containing the old HDD into the "Destination" box, then click restore. This will then format the old drive and simply put, copy the internal drive onto the external. Once done replace the internal drive for the new drive and it should work perfectly.

The only problem with doing this is that the drive you replaced will have to go into the old macbook and you would have to do a fresh format/ install onto it for the old macbook.

Hope this makes sense and helps you.

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.