Buying a new 21.5 inch imac - Should I get i5 or i7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz 512 MB ram
I am going to be buying the higher end 21.5 inch iMac in the near future. I am wondering if it would be wise for me to upgrade to the i7 chip (2.7ghz i5 to the 2.8ghz i7)? I don't really buy a new computer very often, in fact my current iMac is a 2.1ghz PowerPC isight. I want to make sure that whatever I get, that it will be powerful enough to last me for years to come. We do a little bit of video editing and quite a bit of photo editing. I know that the video card is probably a bigger factor with this stuff, but I really don't want to move up to the 27inch. Is the i7 upgrade worth it? My only concern is that the i5 that is in this system is Sandy Bridge (brand new) technology and the i7 is last years technology.
Thanks,
Matt

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
the i7 really gives you a boost while video editing, due to the hyper threading technology. Thing is, they are both great CPUs. you wont go wrong either way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Always buy the most computer you can afford.

There is no such thing as "too much" of anything on your computer even if you never us it but there is such as thing as "too little" of anything when you need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
Always buy the most computer you can afford.

There is no such thing as "too much" of anything on your computer even if you never us it but there is such as thing as "too little" of anything when you need it.

Great advice! I have been using that reasoning for years and haven't been disappointed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.