• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Inks Deal With EMI, Cloud Music Service Is Around the Corner [REPORT]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
While both Google and Amazon have a cloud-based music service in place, both services require users to upload their music to be able to access it from the cloud. If this latest report is true, with all the licensing deals it has with record companies, Apple would be able to offer certain features that its competitors cannot – for example, it could merely scan users’ iTunes library and offer the same songs to them almost instantly from the cloud.

This I like....

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm with you on that one. That said, they have a record of what I've purchased. Could they not simply use that as the basis for offering up streaming as opposed to scanning my library? That way, if I purchase something on the go with my iPod, it could theoretically be available for streaming right away. That seems like a much more practical solution.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Probably a combination. Amazon will stream any new purchases you make. You only have to upload what you already own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You'll do it whichever way Apple says you do it and you'll think it's the best way because Steve Jobs said it was. :p

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I like the idea that I have my files on my hard drive. I can do what I like with them, put them on my ipod, move them between computers that arent connected to the internet, etc etc.

I dont think I will sign up for this :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You'll do it whichever way Apple says you do it and you'll think it's the best way because Steve Jobs said it was. :p
I forgot about the reality distortion field for a moment there.

I like the idea that I have my files on my hard drive. I can do what I like with them, put them on my ipod, move them between computers that arent connected to the internet, etc etc.

I dont think I will sign up for this :)
It could be nice if you're on the go away from your Mac. It could also be nice if you can't fit all of your tracks on your iPod/iPad/iPhone. It has it's benefits but I'm with you - unless it's free, I probably won't be signing up for something like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I see this as a service I would use rarely. The only portable device I currently own that has my entire music collection is my iPad, so maybe the occasion may arise where I want to listen to music that isn't stored on my iPhone 4. But I'm really not that excited (ATM) about this service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could they not simply use that as the basis for offering up streaming as opposed to scanning my library? That way, if I purchase something on the go with my iPod, it could theoretically be available for streaming right away. That seems like a much more practical solution.

I think the real convenience here would be media one did not buy from the Apple store or obtained "through other means". Being able to access that media, or some form of it, real time when one isn't near ones computer could be handy.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm with you. Perhaps the best way to do this would be to track purchases but allow you to upload songs as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
I don't get it.

mp3s are small enough that people can carry a ton of them on any device. There's no need for a cloud. Your cloud is in your pocket.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I don't get it.

mp3s are small enough that people can carry a ton of them on any device. There's no need for a cloud. Your cloud is in your pocket.

Ahh... I don't know of many Mp3 players that can store a TB or more of music files. And what makes you think that everybody uses Mp3's exclusively ? I've got tons of albums ripped from vinyl that are in 24 bit FLAC format. And guess what.. yer iPod ain't playin' that ! My iRiver and Sansa players do though, but they still don't hold my entire library.

I'm surprised that no one has brought up Audiogalaxy. I use this app on my EVO 4g all the time. It installs on your phone and computer and streams your entire collection to you no matter where you are, so long as you have a data connection. It even caches enough data so that when you go through a tunnel in your car, it won't cut out. The quality is great and the service has been absolutely with out flaw. I've never had it stop, stammer or stutter.

Though, I would imagine you guys with limited data plans wouldn't want to make use of this too often.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
Ahh... I don't know of many Mp3 players that can store a TB or more of music files. And what makes you think that everybody uses Mp3's exclusively ? I've got tons of albums ripped from vinyl that are in 24 bit FLAC format. And guess what.. yer iPod ain't playin' that ! My iRiver and Sansa players do though, but they still don't hold my entire library.

I'm surprised that no one has brought up Audiogalaxy. I use this app on my EVO 4g all the time. It installs on your phone and computer and streams your entire collection to you no matter where you are, so long as you have a data connection. It even caches enough data so that when you go through a tunnel in your car, it won't cut out. The quality is great and the service has been absolutely with out flaw. I've never had it stop, stammer or stutter.

Though, I would imagine you guys with limited data plans wouldn't want to make use of this too often.

Doug

A very small number of digital horder/obsessive compulsive people feel a deep seeded need to have every piece of data they have ever collected with them at all times.

The other 99.99% of people don't posses this craving, they don't need access to all of their data all of the time. For them, playlists with thousands of songs is plenty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A very small number of digital horder/obsessive compulsive people feel a deep seeded need to have every piece of data they have ever collected with them at all times.

I guess that would be me. Thanks for the rude diagnosis though.

The other 99.99% of people don't posses this craving, they don't need access to all of their data all of the time. For them, playlists with thousands of songs is plenty.

Imagine if you will that you are at a friends house and you want to share some music you just ripped, purchased, stole, whatever but it's not yet on your DAP device. To the Cloud! And there it is, streaming to your buds PC or DAP from your account....

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

The cloud is a very good idea, and while I don't necessarily trust it, it's solving quite a big problem: accessing files while away from home (and potentially safe guarding people from data loss.)

Your argument is pretty much "I can make do with what I have, i don't need it." While i can see your point, you also have to bear in mind how useful this could be.

Example: you get on the train to work, and realise you have left your laptop at home, with that important set of notes for your meeting in an hour.

Without Cloud: get off at next station, return home, grab laptop, back on train, back to work, late for meeting. Or try to remember the notes / re write from memory.

With Cloud: grab your mobile, access your online account through 3G, get your notes. your not late, no garbled notes, successful meeting.

there are so many uses for this, and Im sure that this would be useful to more than 0.0001% of the population.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I guess I'm a digital hoarder too. ;)

FWIW I used LaLa while it was alive and thought it was great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Your sweeping generalization points to the fact that you live in your own little world, or that your friends are just like you.. which is fine, but don' t presume to think that this is the way of things in the world and that you've got it all figured out.

Here's a cute little scenario: You're a D.J. and have been hired to do several gigs around the city within a span of two days. So now, you can either lug around a plethora of gear including cd's or vinyl *yeah... I said vinyl* or a few external hard drives and so on OR.. you can just bring your computer, period.

Scenario #2: Party at a friends house and they ask you to bring some music. Well alright.. here's my entire collection!

Scenario #3: You go away on vacation for a week. During said vacation, you realize that your "romantic playlist" is not on your silly little iPod. O NOEZ! Too bad you didn't have the cloud at your disposal eh?

I'm sure there are more scenario's I could cook up, but hopefully you get the point. So you may feel free to call me obsessive/compulsive, but I call you boring and lacking in vision.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
Imagine if you will that you are at a friends house and you want to share some music you just ripped, purchased, stole, whatever but it's not yet on your DAP device. To the Cloud! And there it is, streaming to your buds PC or DAP from your account....

I'd just go to youtube on my bud's computer, or take 2 seconds to re-steal it from a torrent site, then my bud would have it too.

The cloud is a great idea for accessing data that you created, everywhere. But music files are different. They don't have the problem of accessibility, so they don't need the cloud as a solution (unless your a hoarder and need the theoretical attachment that is the concept of 'my' data).

'My' data is very relevant with a word document you created and need to access everywhere. But 'my' data isn't necessary when it comes to a music file I can get on thousands of websites.

Your sweeping generalization points to the fact that you live in your own little world, or that your friends are just like you.. which is fine, but don' t presume to think that this is the way of things in the world and that you've got it all figured out.
Oh please. If people required ALL their music instead of playlists than the ipod would never have taken off.

Most people are perfectly fine with thousands of songs. You're a fool if you don't agree with that. Just because something is a generalization doesn't mean its wrong.

Here's a cute little scenario: You're a D.J. and have been hired to do several gigs around the city within a span of two days. So now, you can either lug around a plethora of gear including cd's or vinyl *yeah... I said vinyl* or a few external hard drives and so on OR.. you can just bring your computer, period.
And trust your job on somebody's internet connection? Doubtful.
As storage gets bigger clouds get less important. Also, a DJ needs about 4 hours of music. They don't need every song they ever downloaded. They need a lot of songs sure. But as storage gets smaller, more and more they'll just need a laptop with a big drive. That's how my friend DJ Shar does it. She has thousands of songs on her mac book pro that she DJs with. More than enough to get the job done without relying on a different internet connection every night.

Scenario #2: Party at a friends house and they ask you to bring some music. Well alright.. here's my entire collection!
Nobody cares if you brought your entire collection, or several thousand songs on your ipod playlist. They'll never know the difference unless you stay at your friend's house more than several days!
If there's a special song you wish you had though, just go on the internet and download it real quick or watch it on youtube.

Scenario #3: You go away on vacation for a week. During said vacation, you realize that your "romantic playlist" is not on your silly little iPod. O NOEZ! Too bad you didn't have the cloud at your disposal eh?
Go to Pandora.

I'm sure there are more scenario's I could cook up, but hopefully you get the point. So you may feel free to call me obsessive/compulsive, but I call you boring and lacking in vision.

Doug

Your obsessive compulsive.
Your making the mistake of thinking that your data is any different from the data easily accessible on the net.
That is true with a Word document you created. That is not true with a Lady Gaga mp3.
The problem with trying to shoehorn cloud architecture into music is that music's availability is different than personal data's availability. Anything you can get from a cloud you can get just as easily from the internet, to augment your already large collection in your ipod.

I'm just saying 'cloud' is unnecessary in this application for the vast majority of people.

The cloud is a very good idea, and while I don't necessarily trust it, it's solving quite a big problem: accessing files while away from home (and potentially safe guarding people from data loss.)

Your argument is pretty much "I can make do with what I have, i don't need it." While i can see your point, you also have to bear in mind how useful this could be.

Example: you get on the train to work, and realise you have left your laptop at home, with that important set of notes for your meeting in an hour.

Without Cloud: get off at next station, return home, grab laptop, back on train, back to work, late for meeting. Or try to remember the notes / re write from memory.

With Cloud: grab your mobile, access your online account through 3G, get your notes. your not late, no garbled notes, successful meeting.

there are so many uses for this, and Im sure that this would be useful to more than 0.0001% of the population.

Cloud is AWESOME for applications that involve data that is not already readily available across the internet, like my word files.

I put my word files and my iWeb root folder into Dropbox, so now I can work on them everywhere. Its freaking awesome.

But mp3s are just inherently different in my opinion. They're not something I modify from different places like a word file or a iWeb sites. The individuality of those things are important.
For most people, the individuality of songs AFTER several thousand of their favorites, is quite a bit less important. People can stuff weeks of music onto their ipods. That is quite enough for most people. If the opposite were true, that people were more concerned with taking ALL their music with them then they were about taking a good chunk of it, then the ipod would have never taken off like it did.

I contend that only a very small margin of digital hoarders care at all about having access to ALL their songs at all times.

Don't get mad about my diagnosis hoarders, your just 'special', not 'bad'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh please. If people required ALL their music instead of playlists than the ipod would never have taken off.

Most people are perfectly fine with thousands of songs. You're a fool if you don't agree with that. Just because something is a generalization doesn't mean its wrong.

Sorry but, you just lost any bit of credibility you might have had with that inane illogical statement. And for the record... you're dead wrong. How do I know this? Because each scenario I listed I've been through personally. You can certainly augment whatever isn't available to you via means other than what is in the cloud. It doesn't have to be the other way around. You're awfully narrow minded and arrogant in this instance, considering you haven't even put the cloud through such paces, while I on the other hand have.. So good day to you sir.. you lose and walk away with nothing but a snitty attitude and failed insults.

Though why you'd even want to insult people with that brand of ignorance is beyond me. I mean no offense but, you simply put yourself out there as someone with zero experience with what I've been talking about and just want to rail against the ideas for the sake of argument. That's the last I'll say to you about this, since you apparently just want to feel justified and right. Sorry that didn't work out for you.

Doug

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd just go to youtube on my bud's computer, or take 2 seconds to re-steal it from a torrent site, then my bud would have it too.

There is a large contingent of us music lovers out here that are not thieves. Nor do we show our "buds" how to become thieves.

Your making the mistake of thinking that your data is any different from the data easily accessible on the net.
That is true with a Word document you created. That is not true with a Lady Gaga mp3.

What is true, is that I own a copy of it and I want to play the copy I own. I don't want to go steal another copy of it, just because I can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.