After Installing Snow Leopard Keypad Not Working / Responding

Reaction score
After Installing (I think) Snow Leopard Keypad Not Working

I installed Snow leopard 10.6 onto my Macbook which was running Tiger 10.4, So now I can't log in to know if installation has completed. It is a indication that it has, but now I need my keypad to work. I can reboot holding the command & s key but cannot actually type exit to get off the screen...

How can I get my keypad to work? I've read other forums with this being a problem but there has been no resolution...

Thanks

OP
D
Reaction score
I've been at this for days....

This all started when I wanted to upgrade my DJ software, but could not because my version of OSX 10.4 on my MacBook was not compatible. So I'm attempting to upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6 (which can be done), I mount the dmg file, in a separate window a DVD icon appears, click to install and then I'm prompted to click on restart to begin the installation process. And this is where my problem begins....

Restarted many times and the installation process has not begun

I've mounted the file & verified disk in disk utilities (it passed)

I've changed the partiton of the dmg file to GUID in disk utility

I've attempted to use the mounted file as a start up disk in sys preferences

But now every time I log in, I'm getting multiple users of my computer name (same log in, no other accounts are set up) Ex; MixxTress 1, MixxTress 2 - in Users folder *that's something else I have to look into*

I've read that many people have had the same issue and to reboot holding the command & V key and reboot in Verbose mode

NOW I HAVE ADDED ANOTHER ISSUE ON TOP OF THIS ONE

I get to log in screen and now I cannot use my keypad

I've read this is an issue with installing new software and probably the operating system is not recognizing the keypad

My desktop is a iMac and I tried to use my (usb) keyboard & mouse with my MacBook but still does not work

But on the other hand if I reboot holding the command & S key it will reboot in single user mode, but I still cannot TYPE exit to get off the screen

(Keep in mind I do not have the actual installation DVD, but I have Toast) Mounting the dvd/installation file is not the issue, it's the actual installation

I also have the dmg file on an external hard drive as well

I wanted to avoid erasing (clean & install) my internal hard drive on my MacBook

All that to say I need help with (1) Keypad not responding (2) Installation of Snow Leopard 10.4 to 10.6

HELP ANYONE????

**New update - rebooted in Safe Mode - keypad still not working*

** New update - I have snow leopard retail DVD - reboot & keypad still not working*

NEED KEYPAD TO WORK TO SEE IF INSTALLATION COMPLETED

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the same thing is happening with the retail Snow Leopard DVD, you probably have run into a hardware problem. When an internal and an external keyboard won't work, that possibly points to the logic board. Might be time to consider a new MB for your DJ career.

OP
D
Reaction score
If the same thing is happening with the retail Snow Leopard DVD, you probably have run into a hardware problem. When an internal and an external keyboard won't work, that possibly points to the logic board. Might be time to consider a new MB for your DJ career.

Honestly I don't think I need a new MB, this issue only happened when I installed Snow Leopard and from what I've been reading, this is has happened to other ppl when installing Snow Leopard, so I'm not giving up on my MB just that easy, it has worked wonderfully until now.

I need a solution to get my keypad to work & I should be able to take it from there (fingers crossed)!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro
Also doesn't work on Leopard

I first experienced this on Leopard. It always worked great in Tiger!

Snow Leopard is exhibiting the same anomaly. It also does this is Bootcamp partition with Vista (although I was told to hit the NUM LOCK key (the one to the left of the = key like a TV with an X through it to solve that one).

I've a feeling it's an added Extension issue... I have most of Unsanity's new 10.6 versions of their Haxies in (as I did with Leopard), plus:

- Application Wizard
- Cepstral Voices - Diane
- Flip4Mac WMV
- USB Overdrive (new v3.01 although the old version was in Leopard too)
- Growl
- PowerChute
- PTH Volume
- Apple Qmaster
- Flash Player (just installed the 10.3 version that now loads a Control Panel)

Apart from that, I don't think it's a Hardware issue either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro
USB Overdrive - Keyboard tab was the culprit

I'd read of one solution being that Universal Access was the culprit:

- Check that in System Prefences > Universal Access > Sticky Keys --- is turned off
- Check that in System Prefences > Universal Access > Mouse --- is turned off, and that the Option key 5 times check box is UNticked
- Check that in System Prefences > Universal Access > "Show Universal Access Status in the Menu Bar" is UNticked.

Also on further playing with the system I dug through Alessandro Levi Montalcini's "USB Overdrive" v3.01 (it's the same in the old Tiger version v1.48), was the main culprit for disabling the keypad and making it not work under:

- Settings > Any Keyboard, Any Application -- UNtick the Enabled checkbox

That turns everything back on on the Keypad bar the Eject button... which I've gone past anyway with the far superior Dock app called "DiskEject" which is more powerful (even ejects "stuck" DVDs/CDs etc. in all your attached drives). You can get it from MacUpdate.com and it's FREE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.