I think my computer has been hacked, I am locked out of my files, Please Help

Reaction score
Hello, I believe that my macbook pro has been hacked. I have been noticing that it has been running really slow and glitch lately. I also had a few hundred dollars worth of charges from ITUNES show up on my bank statement. After noticing the charges cancelled my bank card and disputed the transaction with my bank and Apple.
I decided to delete ITUNES because I never use it. When I went to delete it, my computer asked for my admin password. When I typed in my password the operating system did not recognize it. My password has always been the same, I have never changed it. This is the reason I think my computer has been hacked.
I created a new administrator account on my computer. When I search in my hard drive my old admin account is still there and so are all of the files. I need to get access to those files such as my documents, my music, movies,pictures,library and so on. The problem is that I am locked out of them. They all have a red minus sign on them. Please tell me there is a way I can access them. I have very important files in there.
Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Cmd Click on the files and bring up the Get Info window. At the bottom left corner of the pane you will see access and permissions along with a lock icon. Click on the lock icon to allow changes. You will need your admin password to do this.
Then change the permissions to allow yourself access and you are done.

OP
E
Reaction score
I have tried this. The problem is that the admin password has been hacked and changed. That is why I am running into this problem. I am unable to unlock these folders. Is there any backdoor or loophole where I can gain access to them?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have tried this. The problem is that the admin password has been hacked and changed. That is why I am running into this problem. I am unable to unlock these folders. Is there any backdoor or loophole where I can gain access to them?

Your current account does not have Admin privileges? I thought in your first post you said you had created a new Admin account.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
follow schweb's advice, thats what you need to do.

Is this Mac in a position where a untrusted person could gain physical access to the machine?

OP
E
Reaction score
@Razormac: Here is what I did to create a new Admin password, I followed a Youtube tutorial. These were the instructions: 1. Reboot
2. Hold apple key (or command) + s key down after you hear the chime.
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account.
As not to loose files the new admin account must be a new name and not one previously used. I've only tested this on osX.

After creating the new Admin account I searched throught the MacHard drive and found the old admin account that has all of the files I need. They all have red minus signs (-) on them. I tried to unlock with the new Admin password, but Im still locked out.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks schweb, I will try your advise when I get home. I have already created a new Admin profile and password, hopefully it does not affect schweb's advice in a negative way.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Thanks schweb, I will try your advise when I get home. I have already created a new Admin profile and password, hopefully it does not affect schweb's advice in a negative way.

You have just done what schweb linked to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.