I need to mount a .iso file at startup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB
Im not sure where to put this, sorry if its in the wrong area. I need to mount a win 7 .iso at startup. My dvd drive is broken and i cant install bootcamp. I mounted the .iso while the mac was still running and bootcamp recongized it but when it restarted to continue the installation it doesn't work. Is there any program out there that will let you mount .iso's or .dmg's at startup? Thanks in advance.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Where'd you get the ISO from?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Im not sure where to put this, sorry if its in the wrong area. I need to mount a win 7 .iso at startup. My dvd drive is broken and i cant install bootcamp. I mounted the .iso while the mac was still running and bootcamp recongized it but when it restarted to continue the installation it doesn't work. Is there any program out there that will let you mount .iso's or .dmg's at startup? Thanks in advance.

Nope. Boot Camp requires that there be a physical disc in the drive. Fortunately, replacing your broken drive isn't terribly complicated:

iFixit: The free repair manual

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope. Boot Camp requires that there be a physical disc in the drive. Fortunately, replacing your broken drive isn't terribly complicated:

iFixit: The free repair manual

What I'm gonna do is install windows 7 through boot camp on my brother's MacBook pro and then use win clone to back it up and then restore it to my personal Mac. Does that sound good?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Someone more familiar with Windows 7 can clarify this but I bet that Windows will see the two systems as different. In short, it will think you are trying to activate the same copy of Windows on two different computers the same time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I'm gonna do is install windows 7 through boot camp on my brother's MacBook pro and then use win clone to back it up and then restore it to my personal Mac. Does that sound good?

You can give it a try but it's probably not going to work because of the hardware difference between your brother's MBP and your MB. Make sure that when you install it on your brother's machine that you do not activate it. You can use Windows 7 for up to 30 days without activating.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You can give it a try but it's probably not going to work because of the hardware difference between your brother's MBP and your MB. Make sure that when you install it on your brother's machine that you do not activate it. You can use Windows 7 for up to 30 days without activating.

I think it will be OK as long as there is no difference in HALs. Between two MacBook Pros with similar Intel chipsets, I doubt it will be a big deal. I would echo your advice though to not enter your Product ID (skip it), which will put it in "demo" mode, but then activate it once all the drivers have been configured on the other machine.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all of you guys advice!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.