Re-install OS 10.4 on PowerPC G4

Reaction score
Okay.. I'll start from the beginning.
I purchased a used MAC from a guy for fairly cheap - great deal I thought. However, he never cleaned up the computer; meaning he left it as is - with all of his stuff on it. User settings, HD name, passwords, etc....

So here are the highlights of the problem:
The computer only has a CD drive
He had upgraded the OS to 10.4
10.4 comes in dvds
I've read that this OS won't boot from an external dvd drive
But it will using firewire
I do have a macbook at home that I could do this with

My question(s):
Is there a way to wipe out everything, back to just the OS - but the updated one (10.4) and not back to the original one it came with?
Is the only way to do this to re-install an OS?
If it is the only way - I've read in several places that it doesn't matter what computer is used as the host/target servers - it can work either way - but what is the best way to do this?
And how do you do this?

Thanks in advance!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
10.4 comes in dvds

My first thought is...10.4 does also come in CD's (a 4 CD set)...but they are hard to find & expensive.

Second thought...do you actually have an OS 10.4 install DVD?

Third thought...if you do have an OS 10.4 install DVD...what color is it?

Thanks,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I do have a 10.4 install DVD - it's black

Good deal...that sounds great. Yes...I have been successful installing OS 10.4 (via DVD) on older Macintosh computers that only had a CD drive. I've been successful on Mac's as old as iMac G3's.

As you mentioned...you can do it via firewire from your MacBook to the G4 (you didn't say if this computer was a Powermac G4, an iMac G4, or an eMac...they all have PowerPC G4 cpu's)...via Target Disk Mode:

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

HTH,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Nick - my apologies. This is an iMac G4

Is this the best way to accomplish what I want - to re-install the OS?

Thanks for the info!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick - my apologies. This is an iMac G4

Is this the best way to accomplish what I want - to re-install the OS?

You must have an older model iMac G4 (one of the first models). In fact...only the 700mhz iMac G4 (out of like 8 different iMac G4 models) only has a CD drive. All the rest of the iMac G4 models had a "Superdrive". Of course if this is not a 700mhz iMac G4, maybe it's optical drive was replaced (since the computer is 8-9 years old)...it may have been replaced with a CD only optical drive.

In any case...yes...if your iMac G4 only has a CD drive, and you have OS 10.4 on DVD...then installing 10.4 (on DVD) via firewire on your MacBook (Target Disk Mode) is the only way I can think of to do the install.

Another possibility...is to replace the optical drive (CD drive) on your iMac G4 with a DVD drive. I'm guessing this is a less desirable option than doing the "Target Disk Mode" procedure.;)

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Actually...I did a little more research...and the 700mhz iMac G4's came with a "combo" drive...which is supposed to be able to read DVD's.:) So if your iMac G4's optical drive doesn't read DVD's...it may have been replaced with a CD only optical drive.

OP
B
Reaction score
You're right - it is the 700MHz model - guess I went for the best of the bunch! ;D

So just to be clear - I need to have my macbook in target mode and the iMac as the host... correct?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So just to be clear - I need to have my macbook in target mode and the iMac as the host... correct?

Other way around:

- Macbook is the host computer
- iMac is the target computer

Think of it as the iMac is the "target" of the OS install.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.