Outgoing email settings (newbie mac owner)

Reaction score
Hey folks, bought my first mac last night, first problem is email, I have a tiscali account which i used back home no probs but i have moved into a flat that has a sky broadband connection, i can receive mail through this using pop.tiscali.co.uk but i cant send mail using smtp.tiscali.co.uk
i tried smtp.tools.sky.com but that doesnt work either, any suggestions? or will i have no option but to use the server on the tiscali website to send and receive mail?

Thanks for any replies

Gordie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you verified that the SMTP address for Tiscali is correct? If you can receive mail, that tells us that the POP3 address must be OK. Also, make sure that your identity and password for outgoing mail has been saved in the mail application.

OP
G
Reaction score
hi thanks for getting back to me, yes smtp.tiscali.co.uk is what i put in originally, its the same with my iphone 4, i cant send mail through the flats wi fi, but i can using 3g, its frustrating. any ideas? i also tried using the sky smtp setting.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would have said to try the sky SMTP but you already did. When using an ISP and then trying to send SMTP to another emails SMTP server, I have had that happen as you can't always due to security. Are you sure the Sky SMTP settings are correct?

Be sure you have the port set correctly for SMTP also. Here is a URL that gives the settings for Sky.

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/broad...mail-in-vista/index.html?DCMP=Sky-search-sslc

smtp.tools.sky.com

SMTP server port 465, and SSL encryption

OP
G
Reaction score
yeah i have tried that but no luck, although this time a dialogue box appeared telling me the server had timed out, i inputed the port 465 into the custom port box and i also tried it with and without ssl, nd also with and without a password connection, strange thing is i also ran the connection doctor and the result said that both the tiscai and sky connections were fine!

i.m not sure what to do next :-(

C

chas_m

The problem here is that you are using an account with one ISP (tiscali), but you are actually connected to a completely different ISP (sky). As an anti-spamming measure, Sky will naturally not let you send mail out since you're not one of their subscribers / aren't using their email service.

Call tiscali and ask them about a "travel" SMTP address for their subscribers who are out of the country. If they don't have one, I'd suggest you move your email to something like GMail that is browser-based (though it can work with email programs) and thus sends and receives from any location.

OP
G
Reaction score
yes chas that sounds about right, i dont know much about gmail, i'll check it out, so i can use a tiscali account with gmail right? cani use the desktop mac mail with gmail? maybe i should just cut my losses and set up a new hotmail account on the desktop mail, if thats possible, i know hotmail can be stubborn.

what do you think?

thanks

Gordie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi Gordie,

I have three main email accounts with Gmail > Fastmail > Lavabit and all work just fine thought Mail, just make sure you enter the correct info when setting up your accounts.;D

If you are unsure then go to respective email provider and get port > outgoing and incoming server info etc.

Welcome to Mac I am sure you will enjoy using it.

C

chas_m

yes chas that sounds about right, i dont know much about gmail, i'll check it out, so i can use a tiscali account with gmail right?

You would forward your tiscali mail to GMail, and then use GMail as though it was your regular provider. The best solution would be to contact tiscali, explain that you have to use Sky where you are, and ask them how to configure your mail client to send from another network.

I'm not recommending GMail really -- they have privacy issues -- but mentioned them as an example of a pervasive service that doesn't have the SMTP issues a local provider by necessity has.

cani use the desktop mac mail with gmail?

Yes, works great.

maybe i should just cut my losses and set up a new hotmail account on the desktop mail, if thats possible, i know hotmail can be stubborn.

Strictly my opinion, but Hotmail is the LAST email service I'd use. For anything. A spammer's paradise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hotmail also doesn't allow you to have IMAP access, and I'm not even sure if it allows POP3 access without paying for it.

Gmail is the best bet.

OP
G
Reaction score
ah for F£$%S sake, i registered with gmail, imported my tiscali account which gmail wasnt that interested in doing, i configured mac mail to recieve my tiscali mail but it didnt work, although i could send mail, i then cut all losses (before i read this post) and registered with hotmail, set up mac mail with hotmail and same story, i cant send! so basically what i think i will do is register another gmail account and not bother trying to import my tiscali acount and just start again with gmail as it seems to have no problem sending and recieving, how annoying, i cant phone tiscali as i transferred the account over to my mother as i have moved out :-(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.