Does reinstalling the Mac OS X Leopard will restore the original Keychain????

Reaction score
Hi,

Got this problem, I just have noticed that my keychain is gone. I think one of kids accidentally deleted it and plenty of files was deleted also including the Lib/keychains and no more in the trash to and I don't have a backup yet.

Since I cannot restore the keychain. and so far its the important file that I have. I'm thinking of reinstalling it. Does reinstalling the Mac restoring the keychain?

Thanks,
Rap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
The Keychain application? Sure it would be reinstalled if you just reinstall the OS.
It will not however restore your keychain database that had your logins stored in it, if it was deleted.

Just don't do a erase and reinstall, or everything will be gone.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks Mcyukon, I almost reinstall everything. Is there's a way to restore my original keychain?

Sadly, I was not able to back up yet any of my files.

I think it will be useful when I develop an iOS application one day. Do you think I can develop without those original keychain?

Thanks,
Rafie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The original keychain wouldn't have much in it. If you added things, and don't have a backup, they are gone, if the file isn't in the trash.

If you added development keys, some of those are downloadable from Apple. Not your master cert file. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then ignore what I'm saying for this case, but back up immediately when you sign up for such a developer account.

Create separate accounts for the kids and do not make them administrators. That should limit the damage they can do.

I think as you go through apps that need the keychain, you'll be prompted for new information that will be saved into the keychain. What I'd be concerned with is if the default keychain with the original installation and signup had something non-reproducable. Somehow I'm thinking not. For instance, the password file for the user accounts are kept somewhere else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you want just the KeyChain App back and installing just this might bring some hidden files back ?? dont quote me, but download Pacifist and extract just the KeyChain App and install it.
Wont hurt more than doing a complete re-install

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thread moved to correct forum. Does not belong in iOS development.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.