Buy thru school or wait for back to school?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I heard news that Apple was going to do their Back to school promotions starting next week.

Makes sense, considering my school's special on Apple products is expiring in three days.

I want to weigh the options, but I need a little more info. I am a bit unfamiliar with Apple's back to school promotion. Would the savings be better than my school's deal?

I am looking at the lowest spec'd MBP ($1,199). I can get it through my school for $1,232, and it comes with:
MBP i5
3yr Applecare
Apple TV
HP3050 Printer ($80).
Its a $230 savings if I bought it all separate.

Basically, I want to know if I were to wait for the Apple Back to School promotion in a week, and if I sold the iPod Touch, would I get the MBP for cheaper WITH applecare? (I could care less about the printer).

What are your thoughts?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hard to say...depends on how much of a profit you make off the sale of said device.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hard to say...depends on how much of a profit you make off the sale of said device.

I would assume at least $150 for the iPod Touch.

I could sell the Apple TV for $80 or so?

I feel like buying through my school is a better deal than Apple's deal, but I just heard how people felt ripped off when they bought through my school.

Reaction score
your school promotion looks pretty hefty. I'd go with that. the 3 yr AppleCare isn't cheap, and they'll take care of you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Your education discount through the Apple Store would deduct about 1/3 from AppleCare, so the $249 package would cost about $180. You'd get $100 off the computer. You'd have to buy the iPod Touch up front and have the rebate processed, which would take 8-10 weeks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.