Is my new mbp boiling?

Reaction score
Hi folks, i just got my new MBP 15" and the heat it generates kind of scare me a bit. From iStat measurements, it is very often around 75 degree Celcius (167 F) and as soon as i do some batch processing with Adobe Lightroom (witch i do a lot) it goes to 90 degree C (194 degrees F) Enough to cook an egg!
The fans are running like a Boeing 747
Anything wrong? Anything i should or could do?

This is an example of my iStat reading while doing batch processing with lightroom(in celcius and F):

Battery= 30˚C / 86˚F
CPU = 88˚C / 190˚F
CPU Heatsink = 51˚C / 125˚F
Enclosure = 32˚C / 90˚F
GPU = 57˚C / 134˚F
GPU Diode = 65˚C / 149˚F
Heatsink B = 50˚C / 122˚F
Mem controller = 46˚C / 115˚F

THANKS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Normally, I tell people that they are worried for nothing, but if you are experienceing 75C while doing pretty much nothing, web browsing, etc, that is high.
As for batch processing and reaching around 90C that is nothing to worry about, although, on the high side.

However, if you are doing anything flash based for any amount of time, and multitasking, the 75C is on the high side but not out of the norm.

If you can be more specific about what you are doing when you have that 75C happening, that would help.

See http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...k-air-pro-overheating-what-do-i-do-guide.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I have a macbook that is a few years old.

It's been running now for a few hours (basic surfing, emails, zipping files etc).

All my temps are within a few degrees of yours EXCEPT for CPU which is 20 degrees cooler.

Somethings not right.

Did you check out the link I posted above?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
My MacBook Pro's temperature goes to around 70 Celsius when watching a movie or running a game. And it also reaches that with normal work on Windows, not Macintosh. So I believe yours is slightly high. I'd get it checked at Apple.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
All my temps are within a few degrees of yours EXCEPT for CPU which is 20 degrees cooler.

Somethings not right.

But then again, if this guy's rocking a new MacBook Pro with one of the i7s, the CPU is several orders of magnitude more powerful than your Core 2 Duo. We're talking about a 4 physical core CPU each with its own HT (virtual core), for a total of 8 cores. You can bet that's going to generate more heat under full load.

Now, I agree with 6string, under low-load, it should be as cool as a cucumber (as mine is). But I don't doubt that under any kind of processing load it would spike up to those kinds of temps.

The Core i7 will scale down when it's not under load, to conserve power and thermal output. But even just web browsing can add load - especially if you're using a browser that can use the GPU to accelerate page rendering, or if you're using plug-ins like Flash.

What I find really amusing is how people monitor temps on laptops. I don't quite understand it. Sure, if you were using an overclocking gaming rig, I could see why you'd want to monitor temps. But laptops are designed to run within a very tight thermal threshold. Most laptops have advanced cooling systems that are specifically engineered for their particular chipset/CPU/GPU combination and are rigorously tested. The fans are thermostatically controlled. If there's a problem, the computer will shut down long before it could cause any damage.

So, in short, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Your monitoring software is simply wasting additional CPU cycles, which further contributes to heat generation, for rather dubious benefit ;)

Trust the engineers that designed your laptop. They knew what they were doing. Promise!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Hi folks, i just got my new MBP 15" and the heat it generates kind of scare me a bit. From iStat measurements, it is very often around 75 degree Celcius (167 F) and as soon as i do some batch processing with Adobe Lightroom (witch i do a lot) it goes to 90 degree C (194 degrees F) Enough to cook an egg!
The fans are running like a Boeing 747
Anything wrong? Anything i should or could do?

This is an example of my iStat reading while doing batch processing with lightroom(in celcius and F):

Battery= 30˚C / 86˚F
CPU = 88˚C / 190˚F
CPU Heatsink = 51˚C / 125˚F
Enclosure = 32˚C / 90˚F
GPU = 57˚C / 134˚F
GPU Diode = 65˚C / 149˚F
Heatsink B = 50˚C / 122˚F
Mem controller = 46˚C / 115˚F

THANKS!
The next time I run a batch job (I'm going to assume you're doing batch exports that change the filetype?) in Lightroom I'll take a look, but from what I recall the temps seem to be right about in the 'normal' range for my 2008 mbp. If you're patient, I'll test it again next week on the new one, as soon as I get it.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok, thanks everyone for all the comments. In fact, when the laptop is "really"idle, it goes down to 50 to 55˚C, and yes, it is when i do small things like browsing web, watching movie etc,.. then it goes to 75˚C
The batch processing i do on lightroom is for example to export a couple hundreds pictures, or to convert RAW pics to DNG. At this point, the 4 cores kick in, the 2 fan too and the 747 takes off!...
Anyhow, i am happy to hear that such high temp is ok, maybe from now on i'll just leave my coffee cup on top of the CPU O:)
Cheers!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy a nice notebook stand for your new MBP. Not only will it help in cooling somewhat (allowing air to flow under and around) but it will give you some protection against nasty spills. And please, no coffee cups on the machine, OK? ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.