Outlook 2011 on Mac - Rules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...
Does anybody out there use Outlook 2011 for mac and at the same time use "rules"?

I'm a long time user of Outlook and since I work with emails daily at work and receive MANY during a day and have lots of folders, I use the "rules" system in Outlook.

On my PC I can tell outlook that emails that have XXX in the subject should go to my designated folder. I also make a rule that an email with YYY in the senders address should go to my designated folder.

In addition since there are two email accounts I tell my PC that all emails to [email protected] should normally go to folder "A". But then on PC I can create a rule in that rule that says EXCEPT if senders address contains YYY or subject contain XXX, because in that case the email is going to different folder. That way if no other rules on any emails received to [email protected] for the senders address or subject of the email, the email goes to the folder "A". I have another account which uses the main email folder called inbox and also lands in some other folders if rules are met.

The problem on the mac is that I can't figure out the "EXCEPTION" part. So When I create a whole bunch of rules for all the folders I make, most of them land in folder "A" and the other rule is neglected. Strangely enough it works for some emails, meaning some rules does work and the emails with a certain content in the senders address lands in the correct folder, but most just land in folder "A".

I just can't figure out how to fix this and I would LOVE if some of you mac freaks out there could help me out since now I manually have to drag and drop every single email I receive in to the right folder hundreds of times every day. It's a pain in the….

Thanks!

Reaction score
Outlook 2011 on Mac > Rules

I have the same issue...
The rule simple do not appear to work. I can select the in box run rules and nothing happens. And it doesn't apply the rules on new emails.
If it helps Im using a POP account.
Any ideas

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...
I have the same issue...
The rule simple do not appear to work. I can select the in box run rules and nothing happens. And it doesn't apply the rules on new emails.
If it helps Im using a POP account.
Any ideas

Hey man. I kind of figured this out and I'll try to help you.

Actually to make it work on Outlook on Mac you have to it using categories.

Say folder "A" is created in the inbox folder. Then you must create a rule that say:

----------
When a new message arrives:
From -> Is in Category -> A (choose folder)

Do the following:

Move message -> A (choose folder)
Set Category -> A (if you name the category same as folder)
-----------

Then you need to create a category Named "A". Then when you receive a mail from someone that you want to land in the A folder you need to add this email to your contacts and place this contact in category called "A" (double click the contact and click the category button and choose category "A").

I know it's really annoying and 100 times more difficult and stupid than on a PC, but hey at least this will get you going. Before I had some mails with subject landing in this folder, and other subjects in another folder. That works here too when you create a rule for the subject, but sometimes not. You just have to try and fail and you'll figure it out.

Good luck :)

Reaction score
Thanks - I am testing another theory I need more email to test - Im deleting the "set category" option (its listed after the "move file" option). I'll let you know

Reaction score
Still no luck.... There's email from one sender that gets moved as requested but the other rules that I've set up don't appear to work.

Reaction score
How to create a rule for an email "sent to" rather than "received from"...?

Hello there - first post in this forum.
I'm an ex Microsoft user, now have a macbook pro and love it. it's used mainly for work.

I currently have office mac 2011.

I am part of a mailing list called [email protected]. I still cannot figure out how to direct all emails coming to the mailing list (and to me as part of it), directly to a folder I created called "orders".
The temporary solution I am currently using is to apply a rule on specific senders to move their emails directly to that folder but since that list contains thusands of email addresses, I can barley control it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
RB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.