Format Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, Mac Pro, 17" MacBook Pro, iPad1&2
Hi All,

New around here and have been using Apple products for a while now and work for a reseller although haven't been involved in anything technical before.

A friend has given me his MacBook after he thought the Hard Drive was corrupt, I have replaced it and now need to install OSX to get it working again.

I have entered the discs and thought it should be pretty easy.....
The drive needs formatting so I have gone into disc utility and tried to partition the drive.

If I try to erase the drive or partition I am getting an error message saying
'POSIX reports: The operation couldn't be completed. Cannot allocate memory'

At the moment I am creating a disc image of a new account my iMac and going to try and connect my firewire drive to see if that helps.

As mentioned I am new to any technical stuff so sorry if tyhis seems like a silly question.

Thanks

Ash

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are the disks you're using the correct ones for the MacBook? Using the wrong disk (from another machine perhaps) will cause that error to occur.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are the disks you're using the correct ones for the MacBook? Using the wrong disk (from another machine perhaps) will cause that error to occur.

No they are not the same discs...

I have the discs for an iMac, MacBook Pro 15 & 17. The MacBook Pro I am trying to fix is a 13"

Thanks for the reply. I will try to get some more discs!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
now seems that the disc can't come out as it is constantly using the disc utility!
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hold down trackpad sorted it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.