question on broken macbook screen

Reaction score
Hi all--

I have an issue with my macbook (late 2008 aluminum model) screen. I have a strip of multi-color flashing horizontal lines down the middle (about 1.5" wide) ... and a similar one on the left hand of my screen.

I took it into the mac store and they said it would be about $400 to repair, even shipping it out.

I've been putting up with it for a few months, but it's really driving me crazy. I'm just wondering if there are any cheaper options/ideas. From what I hear, they're a pain to replace yourself because of the wifi piece.

I know there probably aren't any good options but I thought I'd at least see if anyone else has ideas.

Thanks--

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
These guys are real good. Lots of positive feedback. They also have an 800 number you can call and speak with one of their techs. I believe their price will be less than the Apple store charges. LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Personally, I would buy a cheap external monitor (if you don't need the portability) and call it a day. Otherwise, you might be better off picking up a cheap laptop. If neither of those options sound good then get it fixed :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Personally I would fix it myself. It isn't too hard if you have any experience with computer repair at all and ifixit has very good guides. If not anywhere you can find that will replace just the LCD not the whole clamshell should be cheaper than apple. Also it could just be the cable not the LCD but that still requires about the same amount of disassembly to change out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
How could I tell if it's just the cable vs LCD... or would it even matter?

Unfortunately the only way I know to do this is take it apart and try it in another computer or try a new cable. And also unfortunately the cables are way more expensive than it seems like they should be (about 60 bucks half the cost of an lcd) so its a hard decision where to start. I usually go with the LCD first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.