doubling clicking the home button doesnt let me kill background apps, why?

Reaction score
my grandmother just passed and i just got her 8GB ipod touch, not sure the year or anything like that all i know is the system version is 4.2.1

im trying to kill background apps, i was told and looked online and it says double clicking the home button twice lets you kill apps running in the background, this doesnt work for me, but when its locked and i double press it music pays, and the button works fine. I tried running a ton of apps and then going to the home and trying to get them to stop running in the background but nothing happens when i do the double click. Any feedback would be nice.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You double click the Home button and window opens at the bottom of the screen. Sweep sideways until you get to the APPs you want to kill. Press and hold on the APP until a red minus sign appears. Touch the minus sign and the APP is killed.

OP
S
Reaction score
You double click the Home button and window opens at the bottom of the screen. Sweep sideways until you get to the APPs you want to kill. Press and hold on the APP until a red minus sign appears. Touch the minus sign and the APP is killed.

ive tried this and several differnt ways of doing it, nothing seems to work

nothing happens the bottom thing never comes up ive seen it on other ipods and my friend showed me it on his, nothing happens at all when i do it, i run like 6 games n settings so things r running and nothing works, its annoying cause i was trying ti play a game and it said to much memory in use restart system to stop background apps or something

OP
S
Reaction score
do older ipods automatically just kill the app when going back to the home screen ? im new to ipod touches and i got it without a manual its good condtion, jst older by a few years im guessing. the button defentally works i just cant get the thing to come up on the bottom to stop apps

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Open Settings - General

What version does it have listed?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeah, sorry. Saw that when I went back and read your first post again.

The model # helped though.
That is a 2nd gen. It is at the latest version of iOS it can be upgraded to and is not able to use the multi-tasking or background customization features.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry. Saw that when I went back and read your first post again.

The model # helped though.
That is a 2nd gen. It is at the latest version of iOS it can be upgraded to and is not able to use the multi-tasking or background customization features.

so whats that mean i cant use the feature to kill background apps? that sucks casue they will constantly be running and slowing down my ipod

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That means there are no background apps running because you do not have multi-tasking. When you close an app, it quits. When you go back to the home screen, the open app quits.

Don't really remember any longer - getting senile - iTunes may continue to play in the background, but that's about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.