Will Macbook air 64gb run slower with Lion?

Reaction score
I am planning on buying a macbook air, 11 inch 64GB, this summer which should be enough for my needs as I only use ever use my laptop to surf the internet, stream music and write essays. But I'll use it for quite a long time (around 5 years, my current low-end macbook is 6 years old and still isn't too bad shape) and it will inevitably get slower over time anyway so I want to make sure it won't run any slower with Lion that it does with Snow Leopard?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Welcome to the forums.

Because Lion has not been released, there is no way to tell Lion will run slower or not.
Having said that, I can not believe Apple would make an OS that would run slower than its predecessor.

My 2 cents.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Why on Earth would it run slower?
When SL was released, it freed up more HDD space and made everything "snappier" and more responsive. It was an improvement.
Also, note that today's notebooks are way better than ones from 6 years ago. Better/faster processors, more RAM, and as I already mentioned, Lion will be a superior OS. Things only get better with Apple. Not worse. :)

Reaction score
Why on Earth would it run slower?

My guess would be because it's a piece of software that does more things than the software that's currently running on the hardware.

I'm very happy with Snow Leopard on my MBA 11" so I'm going to be looking at benchmarks when I decide if I'm going to upgrade. My gut feeling is that it's going to be absolutely fine but I think it's worth just verifying that first. The MBA has a very long way to go before it starts feeling slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Your MBA 11" meets the minimum system requirements for RAM and CPU. It also has a flash based storage medium. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
I honestly can't see why there'd be a problem myself but it never hurts to check something really is better before paying for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
My guess would be because it's a piece of software that does more things than the software that's currently running on the hardware.

I'm very happy with Snow Leopard on my MBA 11" so I'm going to be looking at benchmarks when I decide if I'm going to upgrade. My gut feeling is that it's going to be absolutely fine but I think it's worth just verifying that first. The MBA has a very long way to go before it starts feeling slow.

A newer OS means more efficient way of doing things, thus less-tasking on the hardware. Just as with SL, we gained HDD space and the system got "snappier". Not slower.

Reaction score
Snow Leopard got snappier and smaller because that was the idea behind the update: Apple sat down and said "let's choose to make this update more efficient, we'll take out the legacy stuff that's built up through versions of OS X over the years and optimise what's left".

It's not a rule that the newer software is the faster it goes. We only got a smaller and snappier update in Snow Leopard because they deliberately made it smaller and snappier. In computers if you make the same hardware do more things (eg. by adding features) sometimes it gets slower. Word 2011 doesn't run as fast as Word 5.0.

C

chas_m

You are making an error in logic. Just because a piece of software may now do things in a DIFFERENT way than it did before, does not mean it's doing anything more than it did before. In fact, quite the opposite: Apple is always looking for ways to make the OS more efficient.

A good example of this is the way Lion combines Dashboard, Expose and Spaces into one idea called Mission Control. I can't verify it because I don't yet have Lion, but I'd make a strong wager that Mission Control is significantly more efficient (in file size, in RAM requirements, in all aspects of operation) than the three programs it replaces were.

But there is no law that says that because Lion is out, you have to upgrade, either.

Reaction score
You know, I'm in two minds on this: 1) I don't think Lion runs slower than Snow Leopard on a late 2010 Macbook Air (it's so fast now, it's so new, the spec is high etc) but 2) I disagree with how automatic and undeniable it's being presented as. The particular thing that got to me was "Why on Earth would it run slower?" as if it's unreasonable to ask if the new version of the OS is bigger than the previous one. Fundamentally I think "Will Macbook air 64gb run slower with Lion?" is a sensible and fair question to ask.

C

chas_m

The particular thing that got to me was "Why on Earth would it run slower?" as if it's unreasonable to ask if the new version of the OS is bigger than the previous one.

There is ZERO relationship to the size of an OS and how well ("fast") it performs. You are conflating two different things.

Reaction score
Doesn't this mean you never need to upgrade your computer?

I mean, if software gets more efficient with each version and how fast it runs doesn't depend on how big the software is, we seem to have gone from just asking if Lion runs slower than Snow Leopard on the MBA 11 to invalidating buying more than one computer in your life.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
10.2 Jaguar was way faster on the same hardware than 10.1 Puma.

10.3 Panther was way faster one the same hardware than 10.2 Jaguar.

10.4 Tiger was WAY faster on the same hardware than 10.3 Panther.

Reaction score
10.2 Jaguar was way faster on the same hardware than 10.1 Puma.

10.3 Panther was way faster one the same hardware than 10.2 Jaguar.

10.4 Tiger was WAY faster on the same hardware than 10.3 Panther.

And Tiger is way, way, WAY faster than Puma on the same hardware?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
In fact, yes.

And trust me, I have the hardware to test it on also. Everything from Blue and White G3 and old iMacs to modern Intel Macs.

The only version of OSX that seemed slower in some ways was 10.5 but that was mostly boot time. SL took care of that.

Reaction score
In fact, yes.

And trust me, I have the hardware to test it on also. Everything from Blue and White G3 and old iMacs to modern Intel Macs.

I think that would be very, very cool to see written up. I still question why we have new computers at all, to be honest, if the current hardware can run new software faster than they ran the old software.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because things improve. Software like Adobe gets more and more demanding. We are talking OS's here and whether Lion will run as fast or faster on the MBA then Snow Leopard. Some apps though do get more and more demanding, especially games. Also it's nice to take less and less time say converting a video or compiling something and the newer faster hardware sometimes take 1/2 hour off some tasks.

Like was said earlier, no one outside developers under an NDA have Lion, so anything we can say is just a guess at this point, but I see no reason why Lion will drag on that MBA.

Reaction score
Because things improve. Software like Adobe gets more and more demanding. We are talking OS's here and whether Lion will run as fast or faster on the MBA then Snow Leopard. Some apps though do get more and more demanding, especially games. Also it's nice to take less and less time say converting a video or compiling something and the newer faster hardware sometimes take 1/2 hour off some tasks.

The thing is, Adobe gets more and more demanding not (just) for shiggles but because it's doing more with the hardware. Each new version of Adobe's products have more features than previous ones. In marketing speak it's called "taking advantage of more powerful hardware". To my eyes Puma doesn't do nearly as much as Lion and that's why I'd suspect that, keeping the hardware the same, Lion might run somewhat slower than, say, Puma (of course, in practice, Lion runs on considerably more powerful hardware than Puma does) despite all the years of work that've gone into making it as efficient as they can.

Like was said earlier, no one outside developers under an NDA have Lion, so anything we can say is just a guess at this point, but I see no reason why Lion will drag on that MBA.

Yeah, me neither. I think benchmarks will settle it for sure but I can't see much threat of it dragging. I can't imagine anything really making this drag.

C

chas_m

Doesn't this mean you never need to upgrade your computer?

Most people who buy Macs (an overwhelming majority) never DO upgrade their computer. The last time I looked into this, it was something north of 80 percent. And by "upgrade" I mean ANY SORT of upgrade, hardware or software. Once they've bought it, that's it until the day it dies or becomes intolerably awful, then they just replace it with a brand new one.

I mean, if software gets more efficient with each version and how fast it runs doesn't depend on how big the software is, we seem to have gone from just asking if Lion runs slower than Snow Leopard on the MBA 11 to invalidating buying more than one computer in your life.

"Software" doesn't always get more efficient with each version, just Apple system software does. I can think of other operating systems that pointedly do not.

OTOH, we have to remember that we are constantly asking computers to do more things. What you were able to accomplish with 10.1 is nothing compared to what you can accomplish with 10.6.

But mostly, I don't see what you're really getting at, your conclusion doesn't seem to make any sense. How fact A (software tends to get more efficient with each version) and fact B (the size of a program doesn't necessarily have much impact on how quickly it operates) lead you to conclusion C ... I can't see any connection there.

Reaction score
But mostly, I don't see what you're really getting at, your conclusion doesn't seem to make any sense. How fact A (software tends to get more efficient with each version) and fact B (the size of a program doesn't necessarily have much impact on how quickly it operates) lead you to conclusion C ... I can't see any connection there.

That's kind of the thing, I think the problem you're picking up there is that C (computers don't become obsolete because they can run larger, more efficient new software faster than the software they did when you bought them) is unrealistic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.