Time capsule stopped answering

obt

Reaction score
I have started to have trouble with my Time Capsule. I have an iMac, a MacBook Pro and the Time Capsule with a wireless router as base station (ie there is no cable connection to the TC). All worked well for a couple of years, until the other day I found that someone was using my router, despite the password. My ISP then helped me to change the router password, which has stopped the hacking, but the TC no longer works (it may be a coincidence). The network data shows that the router can see the TC, as it lists it as one of the connected devices ("inactive"). However, Airport Utility searches for wireless devices and can't find any. The TC is close to the iMac, I have tried turning off the router and also restarting the iMac - all to no avail. I'm no expert and would appreciate some help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You stated no cable to the TC so is it used to join or extend a wireless network and what
kind of router are you using.

OP
O

obt

Reaction score
Hi osxx

Router is a Thomson ST585v6 Speedtouch. The TC was added to an existing network (router + iMac and Macbook Pro). The rest of the network still works; it's just the TC that can't join in anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Recheck your settings on the TC.
Wireless Mode Join a wireless network
Wireless network name ( name you use for Speedtouch)
Same security setting as Speedtouch (WPA/WPA2)
Connect using wireless network
Configure IPv4 (using DHCP)

These are all in your TC menu for Airport Utility.

OP
O

obt

Reaction score
Hi osxx

In order to do what you advise I need to be able to contact the TC. Should I connect the TC to my iMac with an ethernet cable, carry out the settings and then disconnect the cable?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi osxx

In order to do what you advise I need to be able to contact the TC. Should I connect the TC to my iMac with an ethernet cable, carry out the settings and then disconnect the cable?

Thanks for your help.

It can be done either way setup is faster with ethernet connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.