DHCP on iPad

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a problem that's a bit confusing...

I have a Linksys DSL N router (wifi) & D-link dwl-2100ap that is used as a repeater...
The dsl router has dhcp enabled and the d-link is in repeater mode.

My mac mini successfully receives an ip from the dsl router and my iphone 3gs (4.3.3) also receives an ip within the range specified...

My ipad 1 (4.3.3) however, will not receive any ip's within the range...it's something way strange, like 169.174.1.65 or something like that...as where my dhcp has the 192.168.1.2 (+100) avail for issuing.

I've also seen my wifes laptop doesn't want to connect to the wifi network, even though the wifi network is visible and avail...I try to connect and it just tries but disconnects after a minute or so.

Whats weird, is that the iphone connects fine, but the ipad doesn't??

any ideas...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Some have said there were WiFi issues with 4.3.3 but I updated my iPad 1st gen and it's been 100% on every router and Access point in my house and I have maybe 7 WAP's! :D

Not sure why you are having issues, but since your wife's laptop has issues, it's something with the router or repeater I would think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17'' late 2010, core i7 2.66, 4 Gb ram
Yes. Do you have a MAC addresses whitelist?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Try to reset the network settings on the iPad. Why do you use the extra hardware in your setup? Your DSL/WiFi/Router should do it all for you.

OP
C
Reaction score
Some have said there were WiFi issues with 4.3.3 but I updated my iPad 1st gen and it's been 100% on every router and Access point in my house and I have maybe 7 WAP's! :D

Not sure why you are having issues, but since your wife's laptop has issues, it's something with the router or repeater I would think.
I also thought maybe the router or repeater but I'll have to be sure, as trail & err usually end up costing me a small fortune.

OP
C
Reaction score
Try to reset the network settings on the iPad. Why do you use the extra hardware in your setup? Your DSL/WiFi/Router should do it all for you.
how do I reset the network setting? I've thus far used the "forget this network" option a few times, as well as the "renew lease"...

Since the Linksys only has a wifi range of 4 meters (thats where the first wall is), I've added the D-link AP to extend the wifi range...whats funny is that the Linksys is an N, and the D-link an G...the D-link covers my whole house from the same position as the Linksys, but the Linksys doesn't want to even come outside my study...

I'll have to bring the iPad to a few other hotspots to check if the dhcp gets assigned on the other wifi networks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If the router has the ability have it give the iPad (based on it's MAC address) the same IP each e.g.192.168.1.25

I've had problems with Thompson routers that were incapable of issuing an IP to the iPad using DHCP.

OP
C
Reaction score
ok, so after I got home Tuesday afternoon, I found that my iPad for some reason suddenly has received an valid ip within the range specified...I did nothing, it just had the correct ip...

Later the evening my iPhone developed the same problems as the ipad...some weird ip was issued that doesn't allow my iphone to connect...after trying a number of things I gave up...

Yesterday, I decided to eliminate the wifi network completely...I switched off all wifi.
I now created a new wifi network using JUST my mac mini...and guess what...the same problem!!???

There is something seriously wrong here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What are your DHCP settings? Many routers have settings to limit the number of DHCP clients.

Can you put in a valid IP address (not taken by DHCP) and connect by Manual?

The fact that different devices will connect at different times points to something like having only 1 or 2 dhcp leases available.

As a side note - on any Apple system/device if you get a 169 range address it means that DHCP failed and you have a self assigned IP address. Any time you see the 169 pretty much means that you don't have internet access - so you need to try something else.

OP
C
Reaction score
What are your DHCP settings? Many routers have settings to limit the number of DHCP clients.

Can you put in a valid IP address (not taken by DHCP) and connect by Manual?

The fact that different devices will connect at different times points to something like having only 1 or 2 dhcp leases available.

As a side note - on any Apple system/device if you get a 169 range address it means that DHCP failed and you have a self assigned IP address. Any time you see the 169 pretty much means that you don't have internet access - so you need to try something else.
well, on the router I've thus far limited the avail number to 100...

when I only connected through airport to the mac mini, I could not connect and then tried using an static ip on my iphone, just to connect...the wifi connection happened but only after 5 retries and connection was lost a number of times...later it leveled out for 20 - 30min before failing...

I'll have to try a few other settings tonight...something is wrong at my house only cause at work wifi all my devices works perfectly...

This is SOOOOO frustrating!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
When you say you just created a network with just the Mac Mini - do you mean the Linksys and the Mac Mini? I've kind of lost all that you've done to debug - but here is the steps I would take

1 - Only use the Linksys first - turn off ALL security and broadcast the SSID. Leave it with DHCP on.
2 - Get close to it and see if everything links up. If this fails then the issue starts at the Linksys.
3 - Turn on your security - 1 at a time and see if everything links up.
4 - add the repeater and see if everything links up.

OP
C
Reaction score
When you say you just created a network with just the Mac Mini - do you mean the Linksys and the Mac Mini?

I've created a new network via airport on my mac mini (all other routers/AP's are switched off)...just to see if my devices will get an ip assigned to them...thats not happening, so I use a static ip on the devices to connect...thats still problematic, but I can get a connection after a few tries.

At this point in time, I'm wondering if I haven't perhaps got the whole setup wrong...

I'm going to make a sketch and post it here so that you could see exactly what it is that I'm trying to do.
Maybe that'll simplify things a bit.

brb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The network is created and managed by the router. If you are getting issues with multiple devices the router is the most likely point of failure.

I'd recommend this:
1. reset the router
2. connect the mac mini to the router by ethernet cable
3. check to see if the mac mini is getting a valid IP - a DHCP served IP over ethernet is one of the most basic features of a router. If it's not capable of doing this it's likely on it's way out.
4. Assuming step 3 works, setup a wireless network on your router without any security switched on.
5. On your Mac Mini go to Networks and change to 'Automatic'
6. remove the ethernet cable and connect your Mac Mini via wifi
7. use iStumbler to scan for other wireless networks in the area. - if you find your network is using the same channel as another one nearby change the channel on the router to be as far from nearby networks as possible.
8. Again, assuming it's working, activate WPA or WPA2 wifi security.
9. restart everything and reconnect to the network
10. if working try your other devices.

Post back with your results.

good luck

OP
C
Reaction score
Here is my setup...

The Linksys provides internet (but due to the utter cr@p wifi range, needs AP).
The D-Link AP has great wifi range thus I want to use that to connect everything.
The Mac Mini, iPhone, iPad & Acer laptop needs internet.
And all of these devices (except the acer) needs a connection to the Mac Mini due to media streaming...

That's it...

WiFi.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For sure do make a drawing and post it.

OP
C
Reaction score
The network is created and managed by the router. If you are getting issues with multiple devices the router is the most likely point of failure.

I'd recommend this:
1. reset the router
2. connect the mac mini to the router by ethernet cable
3. check to see if the mac mini is getting a valid IP - a DHCP served IP over ethernet is one of the most basic features of a router. If it's not capable of doing this it's likely on it's way out.
4. Assuming step 3 works, setup a wireless network on your router without any security switched on.
5. On your Mac Mini go to Networks and change to 'Automatic'
6. remove the ethernet cable and connect your Mac Mini via wifi
7. use iStumbler to scan for other wireless networks in the area. - if you find your network is using the same channel as another one nearby change the channel on the router to be as far from nearby networks as possible.
8. Again, assuming it's working, activate WPA or WPA2 wifi security.
9. restart everything and reconnect to the network
10. if working try your other devices.

Post back with your results.

good luck

Ok, I'll try that tonight...but if all routers is working properly, I'm assuming its me that didn't setup the whole thing correctly...

That's why I've posted my setup, for when I reset EVERYTHING and start from scratch again.

By the way, how should all of the items in the pic be setup?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So does your Internet (DSL) have a modem? Is that plugged into the WAN port on back of the Linksys router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Linksys provides internet (but due to the utter cr@p wifi range, needs AP).

But it's still the one handing out the addresses so I'd still suggest the debugging steps posted above ^^^

The D-Link AP has great wifi range thus I want to use that to connect everything.

That's not a problem.... once your sure the router is handing out IP addresses correctly

The Mac Mini, iPhone, iPad & Acer laptop needs internet.
They will with the setup you've described

And all of these devices (except the acer) needs a connection to the Mac Mini due to media streaming...

Once the network is setup as decribed, everything will be able to access the mini. You don't need to do anything specific on the mini accept enabling file sharing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.